No vacation in offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with you James, sucks that pharmacists are treated this way. I feel lucky to be stable in my hospital clinical pharm position in my home major metro area with 3 weeks vacation, 10 holidays off, 2 weeks sick time, no weekends/nights, one hour lunch break, and free onsite gym membership.
 
Take the offer but this is absolutely ridiculous. As a professional with 8+ yrs of schooling, one should be entitled to at least 1 week of vacation. Most starting engineers get more than that and most doctors are entitled to time off. This profession is getting worse by the day.

The way i see it is they'll keep reducing and people will have to keep taking these offers. Im just really curious to know what is the break even point, the point where a pharmacist will go eff off I will no longer be further insulted. Is that when salary drops to below 40/hr? who knows...
 
Most starting engineers get more than that and most doctors are entitled to time off.

My significant other started with 6 weeks of vacation, the first year after her fellowship. I have never heard of any of my engineering friends not having vacation. The 1st year nurses at my hospital have vacation the first year and so do the pharmacy technicians.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder how non-union hospitals are with vacation time and other benefits. Both of the hospitals I work for are controlled by the 1199 union.

Non-union here and I got 5 weeks when hired. You union folk need to jump ship before it sinks.
 
I wonder how non-union hospitals are with vacation time and other benefits. Both of the hospitals I work for are controlled by the 1199 union.

We have PTO. Which counts for sick days, holidays, and vacation. The accural increases with senority.
I pretty much acquire 28 days a year to use how I wish. If you take the standard holidays (New Years, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Turkey and Xmas) you are left with 22. You have to work 2 of the 6 holidays anyway so you really have 24 days to play with.
That's 5 weeks (albeit you better not get sick) of vacation.
Lets say you use a few sick days a year ---> you pretty much get 4 weeks.
 
We have PTO. Which counts for sick days, holidays, and vacation. The accural increases with senority.
I pretty much acquire 28 days a year to use how I wish. If you take the standard holidays (New Years, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Turkey and Xmas) you are left with 22. You have to work 2 of the 6 holidays anyway so you really have 24 days to play with.
That's 5 weeks (albeit you better not get sick) of vacation.
Lets say you use a few sick days a year ---> you pretty much get 4 weeks.

This is pretty typical from what I've seen. Our nurses and pharmacists starts at 21 days PTO (basically 3 weeks + 6 holidays off) + 6 (or 7?) sick days. Goes up at 5 and 15 years seniority. Manager level starts 26 days PTO, executive level gets another week on top of that.

Now being able to take time off is another story. I pretty let my staff use as they see fit as long as it doesn't leave more than 1 gap in coverage. However, hard to find cover for myself, so got 200+ hours of PTO sitting there.
 
Last edited:
We have PTO. Which counts for sick days, holidays, and vacation. The accural increases with senority.
I pretty much acquire 28 days a year to use how I wish. If you take the standard holidays (New Years, Memorial, 4th, Labor, Turkey and Xmas) you are left with 22. You have to work 2 of the 6 holidays anyway so you really have 24 days to play with.
That's 5 weeks (albeit you better not get sick) of vacation.
Lets say you use a few sick days a year ---> you pretty much get 4 weeks.

We get:

20 Vacation Days
12 Sick Days
4 Personal Days

As for the holidays, you have to work 1 of the winter holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's Day) and 1 of the summer holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day).

You still get paid your normal rate for the holidays you don't work, but you get paid 1.5x your normal rate + a paid day off for the holiday you work.