No word from any school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Jess

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I turned in my primary application back in August and completed most of my secondaries by October, yet I still have not heard anything from any of the schools that I applied to (with the exception of a quick rejection from KCOM.) I've consistently called into the admissions offices to make sure my application was complete and they all assure me that it's complete, but they have no answer for me yet. Two schools -- COMP and UMDNJ -- actually told me that they've reviewed my file, but have not yet made a decision.

I've been keeping in touch with UMDNJ since it's probably my top choice and they told me that their class is only 50% full and that they interview through May, so that's been a bit of a relief. However, I'm still waiting on TUCOM-CA, COMP, PCOM, UMDNJ, and UNECOM (which I've heard is nearly full.)

My question is, Is this normal? Do you guys know of people who interviewed late and got accepted? My anxiety is rising as time goes on! I know that there really isn't anything that I can do at this point, but I'm just getting nervous since it's getting later in the interview season.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not apply to CA schools but I did apply to PCOM and NJ school. As far as PCOM goes, they are very slow this year and they prefer in state students big time. They also receive lots of applications so PCOM prefers in state and they are probably one of the more competitive osteo schools. NJ one has a small incoming class and also lots of applicants and since you are not in state or even near the state I would say that it would be difficult to get acceptance to NJ. This is just my experience.

Mr. Jess said:
I turned in my primary application back in August and completed most of my secondaries by October, yet I still have not heard anything from any of the schools that I applied to (with the exception of a quick rejection from KCOM.) I've consistently called into the admissions offices to make sure my application was complete and they all assure me that it's complete, but they have no answer for me yet. Two schools -- COMP and UMDNJ -- actually told me that they've reviewed my file, but have not yet made a decision.

I've been keeping in touch with UMDNJ since it's probably my top choice and they told me that their class is only 50% full and that they interview through May, so that's been a bit of a relief. However, I'm still waiting on TUCOM-CA, COMP, PCOM, UMDNJ, and UNECOM (which I've heard is nearly full.)

My question is, Is this normal? Do you guys know of people who interviewed late and got accepted? My anxiety is rising as time goes on! I know that there really isn't anything that I can do at this point, but I'm just getting nervous since it's getting later in the interview season.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Mr. Jess- I know it may be kinda private...but what are ur stats like?..ie mcat science/overall gpa, extracurriculars.....

If you're in the very low range ie low 20's mcats and <3.2 GPA that could be your answer. If you have solid credentials then something seems fishy...

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats aren't the greatest. I have a 26R MCAT score (VR-9, PS-8, BS-9) and my GPA from UC Berkeley was around a 3.0. I did take some post-bacc classes at my local state school last semester, however, and received a 3.5 GPA, which I just sent out to schools last month. Perhaps they are mulling over the new information. Anyway, I know there are no solid answers that anyone can give me, but I just needed to vent a bit. Thank you for your input.

On a side note, I spoke with someone from admissions at UMDNJ and they said they have absolutely no preference for in-state over out-of-state applicants.

If I were you I would call and ask for the head of admissions...once on the phone you can ask if your status has changed in light of the the new transcript information. Anything that you can say on the phone that will get your application pulled out the pile and looked over is a good thing. Your credentials should be good enough to at least get an interview somewhere. Best of luck to you

It sounds weird to me. I sent out my primary applications in Nov; secondaries in Dec. I applied to two of the schools you listed. I heard from Touro CA w/in 2wks. My GPA was much higher, but my MCAT score lower. I pulled my application from NJ after make the decision to attend KCUMB. I would contact every school!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I'd have expected you to at least get interview calls or letters (LECOM and TUCOM send out interview requests within weeks of recieving the completed secondary and then send out their decision within another few weeks). Your GPA is kinda low, but it's coming from a really competitive uni, and your MCAT score is decent so I'd have expected you to at least get interviews. It sounds fishy. I'm not sure how you can proceed from here, but are you sure your letters of recommendation were good? Maybe have another one sent in, especially from a DO. When was the last time you called them to check the status? Because there've been cases with me (PCOM) where I've called earlier and been told my application is complete and then called after months of not hearing from them and was told such-and-such thing was missing so my application was put on hold until recieving that :confused: . Keep your head up and try to get through to the dean of student affairs or head of admissions. It isn't fair that you've been made to wait this long for a response.

Thanks for all your responses. I think the other part of my application is pretty strong -- I shadowed a doctor (although an MD), I volunteered at hospitals, I taught a class at Berkeley, and I've done research at UCSF for nearly 3 years now. I'm fairly sure my letters of rec are good, especially since I asked the writers not to write them if they didn't feel they could write something positive. But I guess you can never be completely sure.

I'll contact all the schools and get to the bottom of this. I'll post my findings when I know what's going on. Thanks again!

TUCOM, PCOM and LECOM sent a lot of postcards/letters with application status. Have you received any of them?