Nocturnist and interview scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted322863

I failed to match last cycle and now searching for hospitalist jobs with a plan to work for one year max and make a small dent on student loan. For now, I'm a bit restricted geographically to mid-Atlantic region and the posted base salaries are in the low $200K's. There are few strict nocturnist (7on-7off)positions,however; with lucrative salaries i.e $300K,which i am interested for the possibility of affording to pay part of my student loan.
Just wanting to hear the difficulties or feasibility of attending interviews while working as nocturnist. Since i have failed at match then i need to attend as many interview as possible.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I failed to match last cycle and now searching for hospitalist jobs with a plan to work for one year max and make a small dent on student loan. For now, I'm a bit restricted geographically to mid-Atlantic region and the posted base salaries are in the low $200K's. There are few strict nocturnist (7on-7off)positions,however; with lucrative salaries i.e $300K,which i am interested for the possibility of affording to pay part of my student loan.
Just wanting to hear the difficulties or feasibility of attending interviews while working as nocturnist. Since i have failed at match then i need to attend as many interview as possible.
Thanks
I can't imagine it would be much harder than a 7 on/7 off day shift job. In fact, depending on how much you can go without sleep, you could potentially work a night shift, sign out, go on an interview (near home), grab a nap and then head back to your next shift.

I'm not suggesting you should do that...just that it might be possible.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked as a nocturnist while applying for fellowship, and your listed schedule of 7 on, 7 off (assuming you're totally off these 7 days) should be fine with scheduling interviews. Most places will offer at least a few dates for interviews, so you'd just have to schedule them on your off week. I worked a much more haphazard schedule, but it was still doable.

If a place only offers you an interview date during your "on" week (or only one that doesn't conflict with another interview), it'll just be dependent on how flexible your group is in covering for you (vs trying to interview between shifts). My group knew up front that I was interviewing for fellowship and helped me schedule a good chunk of time off in September and October, including a lot of Monday/Thursday/Friday nights off so I could make interviews. I also swapped probably a half dozen shifts after I got interviews, so having their support was crucial in my situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you gutonc and bobsmith for solid input and advice. I will inquire more about their coverage system and flexibility.