Nocturnist neurohospitalist salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbreakfast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical question on employment that I thought I'd ask here.

Academic institution pays X annual salary for full-time neurohospitalist attending daytime coverage (7/7 model). Institution is moving to implement overnight attending in-house coverage as well. If you had to estimate, what would you think the salary would be? Or, what would you ask for (as a percentage of X)? A quick search online suggests nocturnists make 10-20% more than day shift (so 1.10-1.2 of X) but I haven't actually seen any nocturnist neurology jobs being advertised, let alone in academics, and I wouldn't want to start negotiations with an opening ask that is going to offend people; on the other hand, I'm obviously going to want a decent salary increase for overnight work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A few years back, I was offered a $350k-375k nocturnist neurohospitalist job at a major academic center. I don’t remember If it was 7/7 or Monday- Friday, need to check my email, but your ass still needed to be present for noon/lunch lectures.

Reactions: 1 user