Noise issue with my apartment.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I recently started school and moved into an apartment in NYC. The issue I am having is from my neighbor who puts on a loud TV all night. I put on my fan to mask the noise, however the volume from the tv is so loud that it does not help at all. I cannot use earplugs every single night as they are very uncomfortable and do not fully block the noise too. The neighbor has the tv on sometimes until 3 AM and it is very frustrating. I want to talk to the neighbor but I am not sure if it's from upstairs or or the one on the same floor. So I tried complaining about it to the apartment office but they won't do anything about it. I want to move out immediately but my contract is 12 months long, and I am unable to allocate time for finding possible solutions for this. I am also very busy with my schoolwork and clinics that I don't have much time to run around. I am always agitated and feel exhausted from the lack of sleep due to the loud noise. Had anyone been through the same situation? I really need help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I recently started school and moved into an apartment in NYC. The issue I am having is from my neighbor who puts on a loud TV all night. I put on my fan to mask the noise, however the volume from the tv is so loud that it does not help at all. I cannot use earplugs every single night as they are very uncomfortable and do not fully block the noise too. The neighbor has the tv on sometimes until 3 AM and it is very frustrating. I want to talk to the neighbor but I am not sure if it's from upstairs or or the one on the same floor. So I tried complaining about it to the apartment office but they won't do anything about it. I want to move out immediately but my contract is 12 months long, and I am unable to allocate time for finding possible solutions for this. I am also very busy with my schoolwork and clinics that I don't have much time to run around. I am always agitated and feel exhausted from the lack of sleep due to the loud noise. Had anyone been through the same situation? I really need help.

Per LCME standards, medical schools are required to provide adequate study space for students. As for sleep, I recommend listening to your favorite relaxing novel to get you to fall asleep. That being said, if this is affecting you as much as you are saying it does, throw social graces out the window. Go find this person even if you have to knock on the wrong door a few times. Others are probably distracted by it too. If this doesn't resolve the issue and this becomes a huge issue that persists for another month or so, contact the apartment office and find the term to your lease and consider paying the fee they charge to break your lease or consider advertising your lease on popular websites and in buildings like your medical school.

Last edited:
I totally sympathize! I would recommend trying Howard Leight earplugs as they're a lot more comfortable/better for noise and/or trying white noise-- there's a LOT of different ones on youtube you can use, and I've tried those too. It's kinda annoying the first time you may try it, but it's easy to get used to, and necessary in your case. Keep it at a low volume and use appropriate ear phones (one's that are comfortable, cover your whole canal) if you can.
I hope that works out for you! I would totally recommend confronting the neighbor too btw, those above recommendations are only for the interim until you can get the situation figured out. And apartment noise is unfortunately common in many different places, not just NYC :/

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no reason that someone should be listening to the TV that loud at 3AM. Doesn't your lease have any stipulations about "quiet time?"

Take a look at what it says about noise and if it says something along the lines of not creating a disturbance, you have a case and you should blast your neighbor for being a jerk. Don't play Mr. Nice Guy.

One time when I was at school, my neighbor was smoking on the balcony and the smell was coming into my window so I opened the door and said "bruh go downstairs and do that." He knew he was in the wrong so he went downstairs. Had I not taken that approach, I would have smelled that smoke indefinitely.

Check your lease carefully and any city ordinances. The lease may not specifically state anything about quiet times, but most do. If not, that doesn't necessarily mean you have no options other than to break lease and pay them a bunch of money. Don't forget, you are paying to stay there and you do have rights. Your rights include, but are not limited to the right to have a quiet residence to sleep during reasonable hours. Don't back down. It is important to make sure all communications are in writing. Simply calling them isn't going to cut it. Send them letters or drop it off at the office and keep a copy. Speak with a attorney. Paying an attorney a few hundred bucks to explain your rights may end up being much cheaper than paying the high cost of breaking a lease. Don't automatically assume you're in the wrong, that is what your landlord wants you to think. Landlords are good at posturing.