Nomenclature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenna111382

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- does anyone know whether an alcohol takes priority over a halogen? I would think so because they are higher priority than double bonds, but wanted to be sure. (So in other words, if an alkane had a halogen and an alcohol, the alcohol would get a lower number.) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be argumentative, but I looked it up and I think MW only has to do with R and S configurations- for naming alcohols I am pretty sure the carbon with the OH receives the lowest number- I can give you a link if you'd like.

Not to be argumentative, but I looked it up and I think MW only has to do with R and S configurations- for naming alcohols I am pretty sure the carbon with the OH receives the lowest number- I can give you a link if you'd like.
An alcohol substituent has a higher priority than a halogen, yes. I incorrectly assumed you were talking about R/S configurations.

Someone posted a question today dealing with CH2ClCH3OH. This molecule would be named 2-chloroethanol (or 2-chloroethan-1-ol to make explicit the priority order OH > Cl).

Members don't see this ad :)
to add to this, does a hydroxy group have higher priority other functional groups like say a methyl group, a carboxylic acid, an amine group?

I think Carboxyllic acid (or any carbonyl) is the highest priority, followed by an alcohol subsituent.