Non AOA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

periodic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools do not have AOA? I googled and didn't find complete information, but it seems that the following don't:

Harvard
Stanford
UConn
Yale

Mistakes? Others?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by periodic
Which medical schools do not have AOA? I googled and didn't find complete information, but it seems that the following don't:

Harvard
Stanford
UConn
Yale

Mistakes? Others?

I think non-AOA schools have the right idea going on here...

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I saw that list, algunn, but it's not up-to-date (dated 2001). It has Yale in there, which I'm positive does not have AOA anymore.

CalbeE, I believe Stanford used to have AOA as well, so that might be possible.

Yale does have AOA, they just don't name students to the society until the end of their 4th year, after the Match. They like to make applicants think that because they name people so late, they really don't have AOA.

Stanford used to have AOA, but got rid of it about 25 years ago. I don't know if they were the Beta chapter in CA, but it would make sense.

Did i hear correctly that kansas state is p/f 4 yrs? would they have aoa?

Originally posted by jhk43
Did i hear correctly that wayne state is p/f 4 yrs? would they have aoa?

Take a look at the pdf file - Wayne state has an AOA chapter.

There are only 4 schools in the US that don't have chapters: Harvard, Stanford, UCSD, and UConn.

Besides discouraging competition, what would be other reasons for schools not to have AOA??

Originally posted by AJM
Yale does have AOA, they just don't name students to the society until the end of their 4th year, after the Match. They like to make applicants think that because they name people so late, they really don't have AOA.

Wow, I didn't know that. Any insight into whether naming people late still quells some of the competitiveness?

yale is certainly not no-grades during the clinical years. aoa there is largely based on those years as well as associated criteria.

*bump*
What are the advantages and disadvantages of attending a Non-AOA school (besides the obvious one being less competition)? How much does AOA help for residency placement, especially the more selective ones?

exmike said:
Alpha omega alpha, aka gunners of america

so whats the big deal about it? (sorry, i'm a non-american so i'm the dark about alot of things)

Miss Alyssa said:

so whats the big deal about it? (sorry, i'm a non-american so i'm the dark about alot of things)

I read somewhere that it makes a difference for those hard-to-get residencies, but im not certain. It's awkward tho, i mean if you have high grades why do you need something like AOA to confirm that. I never joined the pre med honors society but my grades were high enough to; its not like joining would have validated my gpa, so why should it even matter with this aoa?