Non-apa malpractice insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eaglepsych

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a small private practice. Have been using the malpractice insurance endorsed by the apa/aacap, and supposedly get a reduced rate for being an apa or aacap member. Has anyone compared rates for this company (American professional agency with apa discount) vs other insurers sans apa membership?

Thinking of not being apa member anymore and wonder impact on malp ins.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Non-APA member here.
Using ProAssurance.
Annual premium $4956- have a busy (2K+ patients) practice.
Don't have the new practioner discount any longer, was much less when I did.
There's a bunch of webinars and other things I can do to lower the annual premium by 15-20%, but it's better for my bottom line to just work since the loss of revenue to take advantage of those savings is more than the savings.
 
I use PRMS and have been happy with them.


I'm not sure if my rates are higher or lower than an other as I haven't compared in the last few years.
 
What would be the best type of malpractice insurance for a resident moonlighting to get? I am unsure if I will be working in private practice vs an institution once I graduate residency. I am leaning towards occurrence, is this the right move?