Non-Asian Pharmacy Applicents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiceApple

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all my interviews I see that it was 99% Asian. Are their actually any pharmacy applicents that are not Asian that post here? I especially am talking about state of California.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. We're all Asian. Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

RiceApple said:
In all my interviews I see that it was 99% Asian. Are their actually any pharmacy applicents that are not Asian that post here? I especially am talking about state of California.

Hola RiceApple, SDN is a pretty eclectic bunch (I happen to be hispanic). Just out of curiosity, does it matter if this forum did have a large Asian representation? I don't understand why it matters? :confused:

Ciao!
Asor

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the big deal rice apple? If someone went to an interview and 99% of the applicants were white, I'm sure no one would make such a post. Now if there were 99% green people, then that's a different story.

ChubbaChubby said:
What's the big deal rice apple? If someone went to an interview and 99% of the applicants were white, I'm sure no one would make such a post. Now if there were 99% green people, then that's a different story.
The point he is trying to make is that minority is now getting the places esp asians.

RiceApple said:

Yeah most everybody at my school applying to pharm schools are Asians.

Every pharmacy (cvs, walgreen) I go to have an viet or indian pharmacist. I think Asians are taking over the pharmacy profession. Probably because it pays well.

that is just california. try texas...70%white...it's all good.

its not like the asian kids are getting in on affirmative action - most of them tend to work thousands of times harder thanI do, so good for them.

ppa93 said:
The point he is trying to make is that minority is now getting the places esp asians.

Correct me if I am wrong ! I beleive Asian applicants are not considered as "minority" in healthcare schools.

no ...i'm asian and i'm not offended... I got admission offers because I worked hard for them...And my frnd who's white got into med school because she worked hard for it every step of the way.....Njac spoke truly-there are no seats reserved for asians...or white people...or green people for that matter ( nice one chubbachubby)
on the other hand...some people argue that they didn't get in because they are asian!! either ways...i think it should be your own ability and work that should get you there....not your race...atleast that's what's fair! :)

I'm not sure about other states but in California you totally have an advantage when you're like a non-Asian applicant because you'll totally stand out from the rest. I'm talking about post-interview invite time.

Asians applicant are overrepresanted in most colleges. Affimative action does not help them even though Asians are minority. This is because Asians work harder from a young age and perhaps we Asians are more intelligent.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopeful05 said:
no ...i'm asian and i'm not offended... I got admission offers because I worked hard for them...And my frnd who's white got into med school because she worked hard for it every step of the way.....Njac spoke truly-there are no seats reserved for asians...or white people...or green people for that matter ( nice one chubbachubby)
on the other hand...some people argue that they didn't get in because they are asian!! either ways...i think it should be your own ability and work that should get you there....not your race...atleast that's what's fair! :)

I do not know about here in Florida. UF doesn't seem to socially engineer by race or gender or any other non-merit based criteria. I recently looked at the photo wall at school that had pictures of each year's graduating classes. No racial trend jumped out at me, (not that I was looking for one). However, women seemed to outnumber men roughly 2:1. This could well be because they apply in these same ratios. Current students would be in a better position to comment on this issue however, than I am.

Maybe there are proportionally more Asians in COPs nationwide. More power to them, or anyone else who is the best and brightest. Those are the pharmacists I want filling my grandparents meds.
Mark

well said Mark ;)

wouldn't you say the school want to pick the best and the brightest to represent the profession, not some fool?

RiceApple said:

I am Asian and very happy with it. got interview and thought they just want to know my communication skills. lotssss of non asian here in missouri got interviewed and some asian looking people were actually born in US. Calm down...we don't bite :D

AmyShyu said:
I am Asian and very happy with it. got interview and thought they just want to know my communication skills. lotssss of non asian here in missouri got interviewed and some asian looking people were actually born in US. Calm down...we don't bite :D

We do if you want us to.... :eek: :smuggrin: :love:

AmyShyu said:

Hey Amy, why don't you speak for yourself? I bite!! When i bite, there's no turning back!! Feel the wrath of the asian bite (chinese, to be more specific)! ok, ok, i don't bite...i gnaw. :laugh:

someone mentioned that in california asians seem like majority among applicants becuase theres just a heck of alot of asians in california. But as he or she said, if u tried in texas or other midwest states i doubt u would see as many asians as non-asians.
Im asian as well and i understand the point the poster is trying to make. I try to think of it as since theres so many more asians in these interviews, it makes it harder for us to stand out among the rest. Trying to convince to the schools whats so unique about me compared to the other hundreds of other asian applicants seems much harder now than before. But all in all at the end, its all about whos most qualified whether they are asian, black or white or whatever.

My class (WVU-2007) is 100% white Northern European. And boy, oh, boy is it boring. And they all like Dave Matthews...God I hate Dave Mattews...... ;)

WVUPharm2007 said:
My class (WVU-2007) is 100% white Northern European. And boy, oh, boy is it boring. And they all like Dave Matthews...God I hate Dave Mattews...... ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WVUPharm2007 said:

:D

Better than being surround by asians pretending to be black by throwing on tupac...

And this one's for my homey's...

*pours a 40 to da ground*

This debate on affirmative action has been talked about many times before.
In short, lets not just assume people get into pharmacy school on the basis of "hard work". In addition, good grades don't necessarily make a good pharmacist.

young skywalker said:
This debate on affirmative action has been talked about many times before.
In short, lets not just assume people get into pharmacy school on the basis of "hard work". In addition, good grades don't necessarily make a good pharmacist.

Before someone jumps on young skywalker, yes, not everything is about hard work. It could be a lot of things, like your looks, your personal hygiene when you're talking with the interviewers, your humility (or lack of ), the interviewer's mood that day, your answers to their questions, your grades (since hard work does not necessarily equal good grades), and many more! That's what you mean, right skywalker? :rolleyes: