non-cat transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgomfs

Reaction score
a few questions regarding non-cats:
thank ya in advance

- when picking a non cat, what are the most important things to consider? I feel like a program with history of taking its own non cats, but also stuff like schedule in case you need to study for CBSE? what else?
- when PD select ppl for non-cats, what are they mainly looking for? is it extremely competitive to land one, or is it just first come first serve type of thing
- can a research year serve the same way a non-cat does when applying? I think most will say non cat is much better to have when applying over research year but won't a research year mean much more time for CBSE

:)

Members don't see this ad.

No, a research year does not come close to a non-cat year. Your research year with a good test score won’t mean 💩 compared to all the non-cats who did their year AND also got a good score. Every year, non-cats figure out a way to complete their non-cat and also improve their score, so you need to as well. It’s getting competitive out there.

Programs which have taken their own non-cats shouldn’t be your main focus - there are many confounding factors - you want a place with a good reputation for making hard working non-cats, a program who can write strong letters, and a place that can give you some study time.

Some are very competitive, some are not. Especially if you know in advance that you want to do one, you’ll find a spot somewhere.

I’ll plug Case quick since we still have a non-cat spot available for this upcoming year.
- Very strong match rates the past few years.
- Sparse call, and usually we make the categoricals take all the trauma call - so that means more study time.
- We consider taking our own - no promises, but also no restrictions against - we interview some of them every year. And we have matched them in the past.
- No issues taking time off for interviews or CBSE.
- Our downside is low pay compared to other programs. But Cleveland is pretty cheap living. It’s a sacrifice you make for a year to match the next year.

Reactions: 2 users
No, a research year does not come close to a non-cat year. Your research year with a good test score won’t mean 💩 compared to all the non-cats who did their year AND also got a good score. Every year, non-cats figure out a way to complete their non-cat and also improve their score, so you need to as well. It’s getting competitive out there.

Programs which have taken their own non-cats shouldn’t be your main focus - there are many confounding factors - you want a place with a good reputation for making hard working non-cats, a program who can write strong letters, and a place that can give you some study time.

Some are very competitive, some are not. Especially if you know in advance that you want to do one, you’ll find a spot somewhere.

I’ll plug Case quick since we still have a non-cat spot available for this upcoming year.
- Sparse call, and usually we make the categoricals take all the trauma call - so that means more study time.
- We consider taking our own - no promises, but also no restrictions against - we interview some of them every year. And we have matched them in the past.
- Our downside is low pay compared to other programs. But Cleveland is pretty cheap living. It’s a sacrifice you make for a year to match the next year.
messaged you!

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought CWRU non cats had to pay to be non cats there. Only program in the country I’ve heard that has its non cats pay.

I’m a non cat now, messsage me with any questions