Non-clinical EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a sophomore majoring in electrical engring and pre-med, and this semester I am finishing up my pre-med coursework with orgo 2 and bio. However, I have come across an internship opportunity in a Gravity and Earth Exploration lab (in the physics field) for this spring semester. The work consists of data analysis , monitoring, programming, and management.

I am highly considering it, and I was wondering if that will be worth it for the med school application since I will be juggling it with the mother of all premed courses (orgo 2). Since the semester just got started for me, I feel like I can handle it.

Also, I have not had a lot of exposure to the clinical field so I am aiming for some shadowing and/or volunteering this summer. What else should I do?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

It's OK to take the internship, even if it doesn't particularly enhance your med school application, if it sounds interesting to you. Possibly it would be listable as a Leadership activity, if "management" means leading other people. Only you can judge what the time commitment might be and how that would mesh with coursework responsibilities.

Besides physician shadowing and gaining clinical eperience where you work directly with sick people, also consider some weekly nonmedical community service, particularly if it serves the poor. Look for leadership and teaching activities, and engage in sports, hobbies, and artistic endavors. Research would also add luster to your application.