Non-Clinical Hours for MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medicinemajor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently an undergrad student and I'm considering going on the MD-PhD route. I'm curious as to how much MD-PhD programs care about non-clinical volunteering/activities such as volunteering at a soup kitchen or running a biking club?
 
When I applied, the vast majority of my volunteering was non-clinical. I had many hours over a few years as an event organizer and snowboard instructor for a program that brought disabled and/or underprivileged kids to the mountain to learn to ski/snowboard. Several interviewers asked me about it, and since I was actually passionate about the program and enjoyed working there, I could speak about it enthusiastically and at length. I can't say that teaching kids to snowboard got me accepted, but I think it helped.

Now I occasionally interview applicants at my program and it is obvious when they volunteered to do something they enjoyed vs something they did just to check off a box on their application. Obviously, you need some clinical exposure to convey your interest in medicine to the application committee. But if you are involved as a volunteer with something that you are passionate about I think it will be a valuable addition to your application.
 
When I applied, the vast majority of my volunteering was non-clinical. I had many hours over a few years as an event organizer and snowboard instructor for a program that brought disabled and/or underprivileged kids to the mountain to learn to ski/snowboard. Several interviewers asked me about it, and since I was actually passionate about the program and enjoyed working there, I could speak about it enthusiastically and at length. I can't say that teaching kids to snowboard got me accepted, but I think it helped.

Now I occasionally interview applicants at my program and it is obvious when they volunteered to do something they enjoyed vs something they did just to check off a box on their application. Obviously, you need some clinical exposure to convey your interest in medicine to the application committee. But if you are involved as a volunteer with something that you are passionate about I think it will be a valuable addition to your application.
I see, so having non-clinical volunteering is not a requirement per se, but it gives you something to talk about during the interviews.
 
I wouldn't even think about it from the "interview fodder" perspective. i would just do things you're interested in. it's not an "important" part of the application so just try to do something over a longer period of time/show commitment. that said, since your time will be eaten up by research i would try to have something that speaks to your empathy/wanting to help the underserved. also i didnt have many clinical hrs and while this forum says theyre not super important i would try to have at least 100 hrs just in case, i would currently prefer more lol