Non-Clinical Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do you say you have only one year of funding? Even if you finish 2 years of your first residency and have 1 year left, if you match at a different institution would you not be funded? I thought that funding runs out after more transfers and more years of residency than you have. If someone knows more about it than me please correct me.
- Why is your PD unsupportive? I would try my best to mend the PD relationship and secure some LoRs from some other attendings.
- Start cold calling and emailing PDs/coordinators from programs who may have open spots, and I would be broad about it. If your problem is with the program more so than the specialty maybe try to transfer to a different program? you can always blame family circumstances and such
- PM/OM has different funding source so I think you can still get paid there regardless of how much funding you have left
There's a book that gives the number of years of funding you get, and, once that clock starts, it doesn't stop. The years you get are for the allotted number of years that lead to board eligibility. More clearly, 3 years for IM, Peds, FM, 4 years for On/GYN, 5 years for general surgery, like that.

So, say you do 1 year of categorical (not prelim) general surgery, and decide you want to go into FM. You've used one year, but, your clock had 5, now 4,: you're golden. But, consider the reverse: FM, do a year, say "Oh man, I need the OR!" Then, you have 2 years left, because you started in FM, but, GSx needs 5 years of funding, so, now, you're 3 years short.

But, it's not as bleak as it sounds. True story: the worry over years of funding is wasted worry. First, since 1997, Medicare money has not increased for residency spots. As such, any new residency spots are paid for from some other fund, which is irrespective of Medicare funding. Second is, DME and IME. The "ME" is clear: medical education. But, D vs I - direct vs indirect. Direct are the allotted number of years. Even if you use up all your given years, the hospital will still get paid the IME money, which is around 65-70%. And, this is provided it's a Medicare position.

So, if a program mentions funding years, you might want to be a little bit cautious, because, if they 1. have to rely on that money and 2. aren't aware of IME, they might not be the sharpest when it comes to money management. For those reasons, there is little to worry about, as to funding.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a high probability I will not be returning. Can DM if you’d like more info.

I will not be practicing the base speciality so if I don’t match fellowship, if I am back in the summer, (highly unlikely given my state of affairs with my PD) then I need to find alternatives. Hence my question.

Yes, sticking it out has been said since I started this thread. And I’ve kindly asked for other, realistic, ideas along the way.

Thank you
Sending you a DM.

Reactions: 1 user