Non-clinical physician opportunities after the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahlindner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident here. I like doing medicine - but after a lot of soul searching I've realized clinical practice is not something I want to do my whole life. It is what it is. I never liked research or academia, so that leaves me looking for positions that are not directly related to medicine.

I owe the military 4 years of service as an attending. Question is, what to do afterwards and how to get it? I have heard rumors of consulting opportunities, hospital admin/managerial positions, etc. Have talked to a few attendings and they mentioned that a military background is a huge plus for these slots, seeing as its associated with leadership and organizational skills.

So what are some non-medicine opportunities for a post-military physician, and how does one go about finding them? Is it as simple as doing a google search or are there specialized avenues to go looking for such a career?

Members don't see this ad.

FACHE - the hospital admin folks. You could be active as an attending on some key councils/boards that would give you more experience on the clinic/hospital admin side

Get a MPH like all the others who don't want to do clinical medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could just stay in the military forever...lots of admin types. Occ Med or Aerospace Med seems to have quite a few providers that do minimal clinical work. No denying that you’ll probably need to bust your butt to get that niche, but I doubt it’s any different on the civilian side.

What's your specialty? Have you considered just going part-time after you leave the Army? It's possible in some specialties, and can still net low six-figure income, while leaving a lot of time to pursue other interests. You'll have no student loan debt, so such a career may actually be an option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile