non-clinical volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakegawa

Reaction score
Does volunteering in a non-profit store which takes donated items and contributes its sales to economically disadvantaged groups qualify for non-clinical EC supporting underserved communities? If not, could you advise what type of activities to consider in the category? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. That's more like working in the hospital gift shop where the profits support the hospital which is a non-profit.

The really typical ones are: soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters, ESL for adults (particularly migrants and refugees), big sib programs for kids in need of adult role models, Special Olympics, camps for kids from difficult circumstances. The less like you the people you serve, the better.

Reactions: 1 user
Does volunteering in a non-profit store which takes donated items and contributes its sales to economically disadvantaged groups qualify for non-clinical EC supporting underserved communities? If not, could you advise what type of activities to consider in the category? Thanks
I disagree with my colleague somewhat. Some of the stores do qualify if you are serving the communities in need. Thrift shops, furniture banks, the Habitat Restore shops, or community farmers markets that serve underresourced communities (like teach cooking classes at the neighborhood center) satisfy me. It's not quite the same as the hospital auxiliary store, though the fundraising aspect is similar. None of these shops sets campaign goals of a million dollars.

The people who really benefit from these shops generally are people in poverty or in great need such as undocumented or refugee families. If your shop caters to marginalized communities, mention it.

But activities where you spend help others in food pantries, shelter volunteering, job or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation are the activities that definitely address service orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with my colleague somewhat. Some of the stores do qualify if you are serving the communities in need. Thrift shops, furniture banks, the Habitat Restore shops, or community farmers markets that serve underresourced communities (like teach cooking classes at the neighborhood center) satisfy me. It's not quite the same as the hospital auxiliary store, though the fundraising aspect is similar. None of these shops sets campaign goals of a million dollars.

The people who really benefit from these shops generally are people in poverty or in great need such as undocumented or refugee families. If your shop caters to marginalized communities, mention it.

But activities where you spend help others in food pantries, shelter volunteering, job or tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation are the activities that definitely address service orientation.
True enough but there are also such thrift shops in affluent communities that support social services in less prosperous neighborhoods or neighbors with specific needs (i.e. domestic violence, mental health services, etc). Those are likely to have affluent shoppers and, while a worthy cause, are less likely to give you the type of experience working with people in need that you have in a soup kitchen or similar spot.

Nope.

Better to work directly with people who are less fortunate than you are. Get out of your comfort zone

start handing out sandwiches to people under the bridge. and dont run off when they start talking to you.

Reactions: 1 users