Non clinical work to supplement primary job

Started by MedMan80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedMan80

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am doing a employed W2 job, hybrid in person/remote. I find the work slow and boring at times, but will stay at this job 1-2 more years. I want to get a non-clinical gig to supplement my work, pharma consulting/foresnics/insurance reviews?, anything I can do mostly from home. I already do some surveys.. I want it to cut into my free time outside of my 40h a week as least as possible. Please provide suggestions. I am CAP boarded.
 
I am doing a employed W2 job, hybrid in person/remote. I find the work slow and boring at times, but will stay at this job 1-2 more years. I want to get a non-clinical gig to supplement my work, pharma consulting/foresnics/insurance reviews?, anything I can do mostly from home. I already do some surveys.. I want it to cut into my free time outside of my 40h a week as least as possible. Please provide suggestions. I am CAP boarded.
Supervise midlevels?
 
I am doing a employed W2 job, hybrid in person/remote. I find the work slow and boring at times, but will stay at this job 1-2 more years. I want to get a non-clinical gig to supplement my work, pharma consulting/foresnics/insurance reviews?, anything I can do mostly from home. I already do some surveys.. I want it to cut into my free time outside of my 40h a week as least as possible. Please provide suggestions. I am CAP boarded.
Prest and Associates (Prest), Behavioral Health Medicine (BHM) and Focus Health are the primary external vendors for managed care Utilization Review/Management (UM) at this time...when they need it. You can google.

None are "delegated" as far as I am aware...so your review will always end up going to an internal company MD or Ph.D. for attestation before being the official determination for that case. $30-50 per case. Maybe 1-4 cases per weekday on average between all these companies? 15-30 minutes on average. So, you could probable bet on 500-2000 per month (1099 income).

External UM is an unwanted spend for these large companies, and use of external UM vendors has been decreasing significantly since 2019 due to this and other quality concerns.
 
Last edited:
1. If you don't have any experience doing clinical trials etc and don't have a research background, I don't see how you are going to do pharma consulting. What you could do is give talks promoting the newer drugs though I am not sure I would recommend going down that rabbit hole. And obviously, its not done from home, you need to travel and give talks. Usually one would talk to the drug reps about this.
2. Forensics is obviously its own specialty. While you don't need to be trained or boarded in forensics to do this kind of work, you do need to know how to approach the evaluation and write a report. And you should always assume you could be called for deposition or have to go to court. Usually to get into this you need to have connections with lawyers etc, or else you could advertise your services with the local bar association, or SEAK or some of those other online expert witness registries. There are also some services that find experts for lawyers like Expert Institute and TASA that you could sign up with. But if you have zero experience doing expert witness work or testifying, it is going to be hard to be break into unless you have a specific specialty area that you are the expert in or you are in an area where there isn't really anyone else available.
3. There are many independent review companies that do the appeals, usually for managed medicaid plans but sometimes for commercial as well. They don't pay very well but if you have downtime during work it might be worth doing and is sometimes interesting work. For some cases you may have to do peer-to-peer calls. Rarely, you may have to go to court and testify, but they will tell you this before hand and you can decline. Usually it will be regarding inpatient care, residential, wildnerness medicine, TMS, and less often medication prior auths. It's usually $100-150 for a review for which you review records and write a report. Depending on how slow you are, it could take some time. For appeals, you are usually required to provide references to support your recommendation as well. Once you get into the swing of it it can be quick but will probably take much longer in the beginning. You can find a list of companies here and sign up. The work is very infrequent so you will have to sign up with multiple in order to get enough to really supplement your income. You could also work with insurance companies directly but that will be more of a part-time thing you cant just do in down time, you would likely need to allocate time for that kind of work.

The best types of stuff are usually through word of mouth so get networking. However, occassionally there are some good things listed on indeed or Linkedin. Definitely update your linkedin profile and mention the kinds of things you are skilled in and open to. The down side is you will probably be contacted by lots of recruiters and the like as well.
 
Last edited: