Non-Degree Student: Getting Into A Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russellang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-degree seeking student and have to make up a few pre-reqs and wanted to take them in the fall. I have been looking recently at all the schools in my area. There are only two within a 1 1/2 hour radius from where I live. Those two schools that offer the courses do not allow me to register for them until the first day of classes. I have looked and there is already a waitlist for all my classes at the two universities.

While I could take them online, one of the courses I have to take is microbiology and I cannot take the lab online. The other course is biochemistry and possibly nutrition. While I dont want to take these online, I might have to because I might not be able to get into a in-person course. However, with microbio I just dont know what to do. I dont want to take it at a cc because the vet schools I have looked at specifically say they wont accept credits from a cc.

What can I do?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-degree seeking student and have to make up a few pre-reqs and wanted to take them in the fall. I have been looking recently at all the schools in my area. There are only two within a 1 1/2 hour radius from where I live. Those two schools that offer the courses do not allow me to register for them until the first day of classes. I have looked and there is already a waitlist for all my classes at the two universities.

While I could take them online, one of the courses I have to take is microbiology and I cannot take the lab online. The other course is biochemistry and possibly nutrition. While I dont want to take these online, I might have to because I might not be able to get into a in-person course. However, with microbio I just dont know what to do. I dont want to take it at a cc because the vet schools I have looked at specifically say they wont accept credits from a cc.

What can I do?

Thank you

Apply to the schools as a "degree seeking candidate." Tell them you want a second bachelors. That will give you first shot at any class, and you don't actually have to finish the degree.

It might be too late to apply for the fall, but you could apply for the spring most likely.

In the meantime, take nutrition online, and maybe something else.

Contact the professor and see if they'll squeeze you in. That's what I did every time I wanted in a class that was already full. Worst they can say is no, but it did work from time to time. With Immunology there was a 23 person waitlist but the prof just put me in the course no problem.

Might be harder to do with Microbio though since there's likely limited lab space.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have a Bachelor's degree, apply to the 'College of General Studies' or whatever is equivalent at your college. You can apply for a 2nd Bachelor's degree or just take classes. It should be easy- call someone and tell them your situation.

I have never seen a professor refuse to let someone in the class if it is a requirement for a professional school that needs to be completed for that year's application cycle.

Good luck.

Also, in my experience, summer classes are the easiest to get into as a non-degree student. Less students around to compete with and I find that even if the classes are full in the summer, LOTS of students drop out right before the sessions begin as they find better things to do.

So, even if classes look full this summer, show up at first couple of classes (or even better, keep on checking on-line enrollment), and you will have a good shot at getting in. That is how I got into the "hard-to-get-in" classes here.

Apply to the schools as a "degree seeking candidate." Tell them you want a second bachelors. That will give you first shot at any class, and you don't actually have to finish the degree.

I did an un-official post-bacc (basically registered as full-time student seeking a 2nd Bachelors at a 4 yr university though I didn't need/want the degree). I probably paid more overall, but IMO, it wasn't worth risking the opportunity to register for classes before the start of the semester and insuring a spot in a class (especially a lab class). Although some profs are wonderfully kind and want to add as many students as they can, often times they are limited by classroom size and budget cuts.

It sorta depends on where you are too. Post bacc was a good choice for cali schools, but now without any money, they've cut the post bacc and it's near impossible to get into any courses....so if you're in Cali, you're kinda boned unless you pretend like you're getting a master's or something.

It sorta depends on where you are too. Post bacc was a good choice for cali schools, but now without any money, they've cut the post bacc and it's near impossible to get into any courses....so if you're in Cali, you're kinda boned unless you pretend like you're getting a master's or something.

But for those of you in Cali don't despair, the extension program is pretty extensive throughout the state and you can complete almost all pre-reqs through it. The rest you can get through concurrent enrollment (as I said previously summer is best chance).

I'm curious. Which schools you are applying to that strictly prohibit community college coursework? I understand those that require upper-level classes or specific courses to be taken at a 4yr school*, but no CC classes at all?

*Slightly OT: A community college can not offer upper level courses. Tis the nature of a community college aka 2yr schools. They only offer lower level classes. A university or "regular" college aka 4yr school can offer both lower and upper level courses.

I see this routinely coming up on various threads. Many pre-vetters don't seem to understand the difference.

I'm curious. Which schools you are applying to that strictly prohibit community college coursework? I understand those that require upper-level classes or specific courses to be taken at a 4yr school*, but no CC classes at all?

*Slightly OT: A community college can not offer upper level courses. Tis the nature of a community college aka 2yr schools. They only offer lower level classes. A university or "regular" college aka 4yr school can offer both lower and upper level courses.

I see this routinely coming up on various threads. Many pre-vetters don't seem to understand the difference.

And apparently "Basic animal nutrition" is considered an upper-level science class. Go Figure. Three schools told me I couldn't take it a CC because "it was upper level and they require upper level classes to be taken at a 4 year university."

The one at the CC I wanted to take was actually more advanced than the one I ended up taking :laugh: The CC has a vet tech program, an animal science program, etc, and they work in conjunction with Cornell's ag college.

The one at the CC I wanted to take was actually more advanced than the one I ended up taking

I've had several upper level bio classes that I thought were a total joke compared to some of the lower level ones.

Alot of these requirements are just ******ed. Too bad they can't honestly compare apples to apples.

And apparently "Basic animal nutrition" is considered an upper-level science class. Go Figure. Three schools told me I couldn't take it a CC because "it was upper level and they require upper level classes to be taken at a 4 year university."

The one at the CC I wanted to take was actually more advanced than the one I ended up taking :laugh: The CC has a vet tech program, an animal science program, etc, and they work in conjunction with Cornell's ag college.

I took animal nutrition at a CC (which had a pre-vet and an RVT program and was the only school in a 50 mile radius from me that even offered the class) and the vet schools I applied to were fine with it.

I did, however, make sure to take all the other pre-reqs (biochem, genetics etc.) at a 4 yr university even if some schools would have accepted the CC classes since I assumed some of those classes would have been more intensive at the 4 yr university...

Hey guys! I'm resurrecting this old thread because it's extremely relevant to my current situation. I graduated with a BA in biology in 2011 but am missing one prereq - microbiology. The two schools I'm planning on applying to that require microbio (for the class of 2018) are Florida and Ohio State. I'm currently pretty stuck because it is darn near impossible to get into micro as a non-degree student at local 4-year schools, and Florida told me I am not allowed to take the course at a community college.

I really am not sure what to do at this point. I really don't want to apply to a school and pretend I'm going for a second bachelors because that sounds like it'll be a huge pain for just one class, but I guess I'm willing to do whatever it takes :shrug:. Any tips from those who have been in a similar position would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm resurrecting this old thread because it's extremely relevant to my current situation. I graduated with a BA in biology in 2011 but am missing one prereq - microbiology. The two schools I'm planning on applying to that require microbio (for the class of 2018) are Florida and Ohio State. I'm currently pretty stuck because it is darn near impossible to get into micro as a non-degree student at local 4-year schools, and Florida told me I am not allowed to take the course at a community college.

I really am not sure what to do at this point. I really don't want to apply to a school and pretend I'm going for a second bachelors because that sounds like it'll be a huge pain for just one class, but I guess I'm willing to do whatever it takes :shrug:. Any tips from those who have been in a similar position would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Definitely try what HopefulAg suggested...
If you e-mail or visit a professor and explain your situation sometimes you can "magically" get into the class. In many cases they have more discretion over these decisions than you would guess. I have seen it work. Otherwise definitely summer. I got into tough classes in the summer that would have been impossible otherwise. Even if they fill up, I find a lot of people drop out and spots are open the first week of summer.

Try to take the class open enrollment. You'll probably have to sit in on the class for 2 or 3 weeks until some people drop. I would also suggest talking to the professor in advance. Maybe he/she will bump you to the top of the wait list knowing your situation. You never know!

I really don't want to apply to a school and pretend I'm going for a second bachelors because that sounds like it'll be a huge pain for just one class, but I guess I'm willing to do whatever it takes :shrug:. Any tips from those who have been in a similar position would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not really sure why applying as a post-bac student seeking a second degree is "a huge pain"? I just did exactly this at my local university, which happens to be where I earned my original bachelors degree. The advisor I spoke with was quite familiar that the likelihood of me completing the second degree is(hopefully!) slim.

If you're going to take classes at a school, most likely you're going to need to complete their admissions application - so just fill in second degree, not difficult at all.

FancyLaces - correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that entail re-doing the whole undergrad admissions thing? Like the application, the essays, the LORs, interview, etc.? I clearly haven't done any research on this subject, so I apologize if I'm way off the mark!

ETA: plus, wouldn't that make me a freshman credit-wise? I'm not sure how feasible it is to get into a 300 level class that always fills with freshman standing, but that probably depends on the school. I know at the one state school where I took biochem I am considered a "non-matriculated graduate" student, which means I get to register ahead of everyone except seniors and I've still been shut out of microbio for the last two years. This is also the type of school that absolutely will not budge when it comes to letting an extra person in the class :(

Last edited:
Go talk to the professor. Tell him/her about your path, what you've been doing, how serious you are about it, etc. Non-trads are a professor's dream. They're normally super focused, they do well, they're mature, and they're great at helping others in lab. Depending on the administration's policies, you might get signed in on the spot.

Go talk to the professor. Tell him/her about your path, what you've been doing, how serious you are about it, etc. Non-trads are a professor's dream. They're normally super focused, they do well, they're mature, and they're great at helping others in lab. Depending on the administration's policies, you might get signed in on the spot.

Awesome, definitely sounds like it's worth a try! I've tried emailing but I think going in person will be more effective.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!!

Always go in for a face to face if you can! Profs remember faces much more than an email address. (Daddy told me this, he even preferred people call and make an appointment for a meet and greet out at the farm, rather than try to solve soemthing thru email.)

FancyLaces - correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that entail re-doing the whole undergrad admissions thing? Like the application, the essays, the LORs, interview, etc.? I clearly haven't done any research on this subject, so I apologize if I'm way off the mark!

ETA: plus, wouldn't that make me a freshman credit-wise? I'm not sure how feasible it is to get into a 300 level class that always fills with freshman standing, but that probably depends on the school. I know at the one state school where I took biochem I am considered a "non-matriculated graduate" student, which means I get to register ahead of everyone except seniors and I've still been shut out of microbio for the last two years. This is also the type of school that absolutely will not budge when it comes to letting an extra person in the class :(

Not necessarily - both colleges, actually make that three :laugh: - that I have taken classes at have only required me to fill out the application and I had to do that regardless of my student status. One school I am listed as non-degree seeking because that's just what they classified me as, but because I have taken classes there before I have a higher standing.

It sounds like your school might have its own unique challenges. I agree with others, go speak to the professor prior to the class and if you're still not in, show up to the first few class meetings as well. :luck:

:D
Not necessarily - both colleges, actually make that three :laugh: - that I have taken classes at have only required me to fill out the application and I had to do that regardless of my student status. One school I am listed as non-degree seeking because that's just what they classified me as, but because I have taken classes there before I have a higher standing.

It sounds like your school might have its own unique challenges. I agree with others, go speak to the professor prior to the class and if you're still not in, show up to the first few class meetings as well. :luck:

Oh that would be nice! I'll have to look into the details at my school and see if it'll be worth a try. I will definitely talk with the professor, as well. It'll be harder to say no to my face than to an anonymous email adress!!

Thanks again for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it :D

I am completing prerequisites and already have a Bachelor's degree from many years ago. At first I was going to go the non-degree seeking route, but for many of the reasons noted here (not being able to get in to classes, etc.), I decided to apply as a degree-seeking candidate. Given that I already have a Bachelor's degree, I was told that automatically gives me Junior status for the second bachelor's degree. Check with the Admissions folks at your school.