Non-Egregious Grammar Errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainbowsunshine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@rainbowsunshine I empathize with you. I have similar errors as well. I know what it's like though, since it's out of our control now. But, what is not out of our control is submitting spotless and excellent secondaries! Let's do that!

Reactions: 1 user
1689135030764.gif

@Goro with the assist!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Dont worry, the committee would rather chuckle, then deny acceptance. Or is that rather chuckle than deny acceptance?

• Love
  • Haha
If you have ever read the actual writing of physicians, you will observe that grammar is not the strong suit.
Wait, some people can actually read physicians' writings?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have ever read the actual writing of physicians, you will observe that grammar is not the strong suit.
Noted, but many application screeners aren’t MDs. I’m also assuming with a medical school application many would have a discerning eye for these mistakes!

So basically, write your PS using GPTChat and then change a few words to make it look legit; ie. change the word grateful to grapeful. Simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Debbie Downer weighing in here: I agree with the posters above that a small grammatical error or typo is not a cause for worry. However, multiple errors or typos suggests that the author lacks attention to detail--and that can be damaging. Moreover, some errors, like recycling an essay but failing to change the school's name, are not so small and can be fatal. Womp. Womp.

Debbie Downer weighing in here: I agree with the posters above that a small grammatical error or typo is not a cause for worry. However, multiple errors or typos suggests that the author lacks attention to detail--and that can be damaging. Moreover, some errors, like recycling an essay but failing to change the school's name, are not so small and can be fatal. Womp. Womp.
Agreed... those would definitely give me more angst because it suggests that I did not research the school's programs very well. However, I am still worried. For example, I added an extra "on" before a word where it does not make grammatical sense in a "Why Us" essay. Luckily everything else is spotless, I'm just hoping that my one small error within the swatch of information in my file will not be too distracting...

Agreed... those would definitely give me more angst because it suggests that I did not research the school's programs very well. However, I am still worried. For example, I added an extra "on" before a word where it does not make grammatical sense in a "Why Us" essay. Luckily everything else is spotless, I'm just hoping that my one small error within the swatch of information in my file will not be too distracting...
If that's the extent of your grammatical issues, I see no cause for concern.

If that's the extent of your grammatical issues, I see no cause for concern.
FWIW, we do not train admissions screeners or faculty members to have sensitivity akin to the fable of the "Princess and the Pea" (or for your musical/school drama folks "Once Upon a Mattress").

FWIW, we do not train admissions screeners or faculty members to have sensitivity akin to the fable of the "Princess and the Pea" (or for your musical/school drama folks "Once Upon a Mattress").
The Broadway show that launched Carol Burnett to stardom in 1959

@Rachapkis @gyngyn I apparently used two spaces after a period 3x in my whole primary (all in sep activities). On the HTML version, it only shows one space after the period, but I guess the pdf version placed two in these spaces. Perhaps the formatting was off when I copied and pasted but I made sure to use TextEdit so I don’t know what happened. Would this hurt me?

• Haha
@Rachapkis @gyngyn I apparently used two spaces after a period 3x in my whole primary (all in sep activities). On the HTML version, it only shows one space after the period, but I guess the pdf version placed two in these spaces. Perhaps the formatting was off when I copied and pasted but I made sure to use TextEdit so I don’t know what happened. Would this hurt me?
I hope you are kidding!
Two spaces used to be standard, now either is acceptable.

@gyngyn yea, it just bothers me when I see the two spaces. I know it’s only three times that this happened in the whole thing, but I didn’t want to adcoms to think I was careless.

@gyngyn yea, it just bothers me when I see the two spaces.
Let it go.
I have (almost) learned to hear people say "those ones" without cringing!
Don't get me started with "Cali" and the ever popular "visa versa."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, I laugh because this is such a generational-defining thing. Old gen vs. New Gen grammarians. :)

That and the Carol Burnett mention.

(Team pound, not team hashtag.)

Let it go.
I have (almost) learned to hear people say "those ones" without cringing!
Don't get me started with "Cali" and the ever popular "visa versa."
I always thought it was was visa mastercard

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users