non-forensic autopsy pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is mainly directed at the community-based pathologists on here. It stems from a discussion I've had with some colleagues of mine. How many of you do hospital autopsies as part of your practice, and if so how many per year? Do you feel comfortable doing this based on your residency training? Do you actually do most of the autopsy yourself, or is an assistant prosecting the entire block for you? How are you reimbursed for this service? Do you enjoy this part of your job, or is it something you just suck-it-up and do when the job requires it?

We all know the trends in hospital autopsy rates, and I'm wondering if the ABP's 50 autopsy requirement will ever disappear. If not, residents will most likely need to do increasing amounts of time in ME/coroner offices to get their numbers. Either way, will there be non-forensic pathologists in 20 years who can competently perform an autopsy? And if not, is that a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

This question is mainly directed at the community-based pathologists on here. It stems from a discussion I've had with some colleagues of mine. How many of you do hospital autopsies as part of your practice, and if so how many per year? Do you feel comfortable doing this based on your residency training? Do you actually do most of the autopsy yourself, or is an assistant prosecting the entire block for you? How are you reimbursed for this service? Do you enjoy this part of your job, or is it something you just suck-it-up and do when the job requires it?

We all know the trends in hospital autopsy rates, and I'm wondering if the ABP's 50 autopsy requirement will ever disappear. If not, residents will most likely need to do increasing amounts of time in ME/coroner offices to get their numbers. Either way, will there be non-forensic pathologists in 20 years who can competently perform an autopsy? And if not, is that a problem?

i am in a 170 bed community hospital.
very, very few. perhaps one, two, maybe three adults per year. perhaps 3 or 4 stillborns. i am comfortable with them ( forensic boards from 25 years ago) but they are a complete interruption of my time. i have one or 2 of our groups pa's come over and do the evisceration. i will check in on them periodically and may do the heart or a particular area of concern. hospital pays per our contract. we only do them at the request of the medical staff ( no family requested autopsies) with nok consent.

Reactions: 1 user