Non-jupas MBBS/ MBChB for 2010 Sept Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just phoned CUHK to ask.. they said they have not yet received the applicants' profile from the admissions office...
and the staff said they have just interviewed a small group of applicants... that's a particular batch of applicants...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I'm a Canadian finishing undergrad in the US. I also have an interview for HKU on June 10.

Just saw this thread and was wondering if anyone knows the interview structure for HKU. I know it'll only be 15 minutes long, which is very short compared to US and Canadian format. Was wondering if it was going to be mainly in English, or will it also be in Cantonese? So far the only useful information I've gotten online is from hkmed.blogspot.com.

still haven't got any news from HKU and CUHK... i feel so frustrated

Hey guys,
I'm a Canadian finishing undergrad in the US. I also have an interview for HKU on June 10.

Just saw this thread and was wondering if anyone knows the interview structure for HKU. I know it'll only be 15 minutes long, which is very short compared to US and Canadian format. Was wondering if it was going to be mainly in English, or will it also be in Cantonese? So far the only useful information I've gotten online is from hkmed.blogspot.com.

Should be in English.
It will usually overrun to 30-45 min.

Good luck!!!!

Haven't heard from either unis neither.. anyone been out right rejected yet? this is painful...

just phoned HKU and asked
the admissions lady said all invitations have been sent out...
for those who havent received any news, got a great chance to be rejected..............

just phoned HKU and asked
the admissions lady said all invitations have been sent out...
for those who havent received any news, got a great chance to be rejected..............

very disappointed =(

o well.. gotta go with plan b then

hi alliwantismedicine, I have sent you a pm. Please let me know if you did not receive one.

I have an interview 6/10 in HKU. Is anyone here from Vancouver?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Vancouver and my interview date is June 10 as well.

Getting really nervous. I heard the HKU interview is panel style, not MMI. That's all I know at the moment! Anyone with more insight please post and let us know!

Hey Guys!

I'm currently in my 4th year of a 5-year dual degree program at a canadian university - i'm doing honors business and honors specialization in medical sciences. I will be applying to HKU and CUHK at the end of this year for the next application cycle. I'm both a Canadian citizen and a HK permanent resident, and this summer I'm doing an internship at the CUHK Prince of Wales Hospital with a research institution - research project with clinical experience.

I just wanted to know what kind of gpa or other stats do we need as non-jupas degree holders to get into the med schools in HK? I'll have 2 degrees after next year, do they look at that at all?

Please let me know if you have any advice!! Thanks so much. :]

just checked HKU status........ it finally changed ..

i got the interview invitation from CU. The lady just called today
anyone get it too?

Hey justin182,

I was also scheduled to have an interview at 3:45 pm today. Are you that awesome guy whose last name was **** too?

PM me if you want to talk lol!

justaiminghigh

hey justin182, I think we never met lol, unless you came from Canada as well.

Does anyone know how long it takes for HKU to release the results?

Thanks!

Hi yall, I think offers will be going out this coming days. I just checked my status online and it said:

6456 - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
Firm offer (subject to confirmation by formal offer letter from the Faculty concerned) :eek:

I'm yet to receive any confirmation from the faculty, but I'm stoked. GL.

Hm, I just checked my online status, and all I see is "under consideration." Is everyone else in my shoes, or have you guys received some form of notification already?

hi im new to this but did anyone hear anything from cuhk? about the interview in july?

hi im new to this but did anyone hear anything from cuhk? about the interview in july?

i got the official letter from cu about the interview on 14th july
before that, the lady actually called on 1st june telling me about the interview
so cwk221, did u get the call from the lady before telling u about the interview?

i got the official letter from cu about the interview on 14th july
before that, the lady actually called on 1st june telling me about the interview
so cwk221, did u get the call from the lady before telling u about the interview?

nope i didn't get anything:(
man i guess they just haven't changed the online status... false hope:(
good luck on your interview though!

by the way, 4ilatdoctor, would you mind sharing your stats?

Oh, i havent had the interview yet, so i didnt know my status for now
um, but i know that results will be released within a week after the interview.

i meant your profile.. like are you a grad/undergrad/international school student? if you don't mind telling me that is, im just curious and i would like to know more about selection criteria for medicine.
as for your admission status, you do know there is a site for you to check the admission status right?

i am a degree holder already with GPA over 3.8, what about urs?
oh, yeah, i do know the website, it is still under consideration
as i know, they wont change the status until end of august even for those who have an interview invitation.
dont lost hope, i have a fd who tried three times before he got admitted

thanks! im a college freshman, going onto my 2nd year... you have a science-related degree right? im planning on studying psychology in america rather than a science degree, for now im doing both science and psychology, but im going to give up one soon. and im not sure if i can still apply to medicine with a psych degree...

if i haven't heard back from cuhk yet, then i suppose i got rejected already? do you guys think the hk schools are all about gpa? i am a master degree holder with gpa around 3.3 in undergrad and 3.8 in grad, and a high mcat score, but it seems like the hk schools ONLY care about the gpa and nothing else

AS i know for CU, they only take undergrad with GPA at least 3.8 which is also listed in their website as the minimum requirement
i am sorry to let you know if u don't get to offer an interview, most probably u already get rejected as the interview was finished last wednesday.
Where did u pursue ur undergrad and grad school btw?
how good was ur MCAT?more than 35?

Interesting, I thought there's still another interview in late August for CUHK (according to the website)......

There IS an interview at late August.., which is for students finishing up the summer term
But yes you are partially correct, you have to make the 3.8 cutoff (it was 3.7 in my year) to be considered for an interview...American schools work the same way too..its a gate that u must pass

Sigh...mine's 3.9 and I'm not taking any course during the summer, but i still haven't heard back from cuhk. Guess I have been rejected for other reasons then. Oh well... :(

hi i was interviewed by CUHK on 14th july (was notified one week in advance)
today they gave me a conditional offer saying that i had to pass a chinese language test. does anyone know what the test is like?

hi i was interviewed by CUHK on 14th july (was notified one week in advance)
today they gave me a conditional offer saying that i had to pass a chinese language test. does anyone know what the test is like?

I have also been interviewed on 14/7. thetree, what time did you receive the call yesterday? you live in a State?

I am so worried....Anyone has heard any news from CU?

I have also been interviewed on 14/7. thetree, what time did you receive the call yesterday? you live in a State?

They called be at around 4pm (HK time). The admissions people sent me some forms and things to fill in after the call.
Nope, I'm from an international school in HK so I had to apply through non-jupas.

Good luck, CUMphil! :)

I got the call on 20th morning from CU confirming my offer
I bet they are calling more people..just be patient and wait for the good news
so CUMphil, from ur name, i guess u are mphil from CU right? can u tell me which department u do ur mphil? is it related to medicine?

I got the call on 20th morning from CU confirming my offer
I bet they are calling more people..just be patient and wait for the good news
so CUMphil, from ur name, i guess u are mphil from CU right? can u tell me which department u do ur mphil? is it related to medicine?

Yes I m a CU mphil student from science stream. I think I have not been accepted as there were a few (<10) non-Jupas candidates have been accepted in 14/7 slot. Those who have not recieve a call from CU til now are very likely to be rejected......sigh.

thetree and 4ilatdoctor, do you mind telling me your academic results? 4iatdoctor, are you a postgraduate student as well?

Yes I m a CU mphil student from science stream. I think I have not been accepted as there were a few (<10) non-Jupas candidates have been accepted in 14/7 slot. Those who have not recieve a call from CU til now are very likely to be rejected......sigh.

thetree and 4ilatdoctor, do you mind telling me your academic results? 4iatdoctor, are you a postgraduate student as well?

Dear CUMphil,
how do you know <10 non jupas got accepted?
so u said u were a cu mphil student from sci stream? was it related to medicine btw? like physiology? anatomny? surgery? pediatrics? those things?
For me, i am a graduate from a university in USA with GPA > 3.8

I just graduated from IB (international baccalaureate) with 39/42 pts. They usually give offers to people with 40 pts or above so i was marginal..

Hey CUMphil
Do not lose hope, just want you to know that i was accepted in mid August after being interviewed on July 14th last year
keep waiting

Dear Thetree,

My brother expects to get 25 in hkcee, do you think it is easier for him to get into med if he pursue an IB diploma instead of Hkal?
Also, from the cuhk website, it states quite clearly that 40/42 is essential,so do you have very strong extra-curricular performance and excellent interview?

Dear Thetree,

My brother expects to get 25 in hkcee, do you think it is easier for him to get into med if he pursue an IB diploma instead of Hkal?
Also, from the cuhk website, it states quite clearly that 40/42 is essential,so do you have very strong extra-curricular performance and excellent interview?

I don't really know much about the HK exam systems but i would say that getting 40/42 in IB is very difficult. HKU rejected me because i achieved 39/42. Also, if he does IB, he will have to apply through non-jupas which means he would have to compete against top students from all over the world. It seems like jupas applicants are more likely to get interviewed - i'm not sure.

I did quite a lot of community service including some in hospitals, other than that, the things i do are pretty average. i can't really compare my performence in the interview cause its the only one i've had - but i felt pretty confident and could answer all the questions decently.

Your brother seems to do quite well accademically but IB is a very harsh course. There are a lot of additional requirements (such as CAS, TOK, EE - search those terms up if youre not sure what they mean) which HKAL doesn't have. I also think HKAL has a more flexible choice of subjects. I would advise him to consider clearly what kind of course would allow him to achieve the best grades. Good luck!