Non-Med School Careers

Started by B1GR3DDD
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

B1GR3DDD

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm beginning to look into what I should Major in college. I am almost 100% sure I want a career in the medical field, it's just it's such a large field that I couldn't begin to pick what I should do. I've been exposed to the medical field my entire life. My mom is a neonatal nurse, sister is in school for nursing, and brother currently in school for physician assistant studies. These past 2 summers I have been volunteering at my local hospital in various departments, such as pathology and the NICU. I find both of these very interesting, and this summer I will be working in the Surgicenter and get some exposure into that.

My main question is what should I begin to research that is a good field that doesn't require medical school. I'm just trying to be realistic into what I should study. I honestly believe I would struggle in med school, and also the cost and time turns me away from it. So if anyone could recommend some jobs to look into let me know!

Thanks Everyone!
 
Dentist, optometrist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, medical researcher, nurse, healthcare administrator, phd psychologist, pharmacist...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any career in health science is going to involve the same kinds of pre-requisite classes.. You don't have to major in a field of science to get into professional school, you just have to do their pre-requisite's.. If you know where you're going to school then you can ask them about what major can encompass a lot of the health field careers.

In response to your direct question--the above answer is pretty spot on. Although, I'd look into PA (what your brother is doing) as well.
 
Any career in health science is going to involve the same kinds of pre-requisite classes.. You don't have to major in a field of science to get into professional school, you just have to do their pre-requisite's.. If you know where you're going to school then you can ask them about what major can encompass a lot of the health field careers.

In response to your direct question--the above answer is pretty spot on. Although, I'd look into PA (what your brother is doing) as well.

I'll 2nd PA school, especially if you were originally considering medical school. I know people who went that route and who are currently completing that route. Seems to be great for them.

However, your best option is shadowing. Follow around different professions and see what sparks your interest most.