Non-medical Gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Javert123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a senior right now and I am looking to figure out what to do with my gap year. I'll be meeting with my advisors and doctors I've been working with in undergrad during volunteering to see if they have any open projects but I'd also like to talk to my school's residential education department to see if they have any openings. I've been an RA in the dorms for the last two years and would like to spend some time working with ResED

Do you think that's a problem since it's not a medically-related positions? I'd still be interacting with many students and dorm life professionals.

To be honest, I have really loved being an RA in the dorms and if I had to choose I'd rather work with ResED and the dorm students than work on a clinical project for a year just because I feel that with my two year RA experience there are some really important changes/ideas I'd like to introduce in our school's Res ed system!
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say get off campus. Work with real people with real problems. SDN is full of people with amazing stats who've never been off a university campus and then complain that med schools aren't interested in them. Not coincidentally, medicine has its share of people who've never left the same bubble and who look down upon regular people who don't share their upper-middle-class problems. Maybe that's why med schools are placing such an increasing emphasis on real-world experiences. Either way, I'd say get the hell out of the bubble.

I'd do whatever you think will give you good experiences to discuss for your application and what you will ENJOY doing... whenever I have done work / volunteering that I didn't like it quickly became apparent.