non-medical internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chairs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I sort of responded to an internship ad from an advertising magazine and actually got an appointment for an interview. If I do it for the summer, would it be looked upon as a conflict of interests or something like that? I won't be applying to med schools for another 2-3 years...

Members don't see this ad.

It would look like someone has interests outside of medicine, which isn't a bad thing.
You could also do some medical volunteering on the side if you have any time.

I think that it wouldnt look like a conflict of interests at all. You are still at a very early stage in preparation for med school and if anything this would look good as you are keeping yourself busy during the summer which is what many med schools like to see. However, i advise that if you do participate in this activity, try to learn something from it or grasp something positive from it. Dont just do it for fun/money. Make it a positive investment of your time. i mean if you were to just work at mcdonalds for the summer flippling bugers (which isnt a bad thing).......would that look as favorable as working for an advertising magazine where you got to see first hand the inner workings of article editing which helped you later on in the development and publication of your own scientific research article at a lab in school? Just make it work for you, and make it an asset to your unique background. Try and also do some other things as you do this so that med schools can see you can handle a many things at once. perhaps some volunteering or shadowing. hope this helps and good luck on your endevour. :oops:

Last edited: