Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I've read back through the archives of the radiology forum but been unable to find the answer to the following question...hopefully some of you can give me your opinions
Basically I have heard that research in radiology is absolutely essential to match in radiology. The problem is I never really considered radiology till later on (now MS3) and so have not done any of this.
All I do have is that I was an engineer in undergrad and have a (research) masters in ocean acoustic tomography. It's not remotely medically relevant (we imaged ocean temperatures using sound wave velocities) but essentially the physics and mathematics behind medical-tomo and ocean-tomo is exactly the same. I have about 14 peer reviewed articles in that, 6 of which were first author. None of my research experience is remotely medically related.
How do you think rad.residencies will view this? Will this be a plus (I guess at least it shows I can do research and can handle the physics?) or will it be regarded as pretty irrelevant? I guess what I'm hoping someone will say is that substantial research in an intellectually-equivalent field like this will put me in good stead as my friends who DID do rads research ended up without publications (just presentations)...but I'm not sure. And if this isn't going to get me anywhere, any suggestions on what I can do about it at this stage?
thanks for any replies.
I've read back through the archives of the radiology forum but been unable to find the answer to the following question...hopefully some of you can give me your opinions
Basically I have heard that research in radiology is absolutely essential to match in radiology. The problem is I never really considered radiology till later on (now MS3) and so have not done any of this.
All I do have is that I was an engineer in undergrad and have a (research) masters in ocean acoustic tomography. It's not remotely medically relevant (we imaged ocean temperatures using sound wave velocities) but essentially the physics and mathematics behind medical-tomo and ocean-tomo is exactly the same. I have about 14 peer reviewed articles in that, 6 of which were first author. None of my research experience is remotely medically related.
How do you think rad.residencies will view this? Will this be a plus (I guess at least it shows I can do research and can handle the physics?) or will it be regarded as pretty irrelevant? I guess what I'm hoping someone will say is that substantial research in an intellectually-equivalent field like this will put me in good stead as my friends who DID do rads research ended up without publications (just presentations)...but I'm not sure. And if this isn't going to get me anywhere, any suggestions on what I can do about it at this stage?
thanks for any replies.