Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Non PM&R electives/experiences

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by hk2005, Apr 26, 2004.

1. hk2005

hk2005 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice on my last post about types of PM&R electives to seek out. I was just wondering now if anyone had opinions about what other kinds of electives would be helpful either once you get to residency or to help make you a more impressive applicant. Besides research of course.

Thanks again! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. axm397

axm397 SDN Moderator
    Moderator Physician SDN Advisor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There was a post on this subject but I can't seem to find it so let me repeat what I've heard...

Good electives outside of PM&R:

Neuro - learn good neuro exam, see acute strokes, TBI, etc.

Neurosurg - if interested - acute management of SCI, Spine procedures, etc.

Ortho - Both OR and outpt sports - good to learn about various procedures your rehab pts may have gone through, some physical dx skills.

Rheum - add to your diff dx list of msk pathologies

Cards/Pulm/ICU - learn vent management, medical emergencies, some cardiac rehab type issues.

Sports Medicine - Ortho or FP or PM&R - if interested
    Pain Management - Anesthesia or PM&R - if interested

IM - was asked by one clueless interviewer what IM rotation I did my 4th yr.

Radiology?? - possibly to learn to read CXRs, Spine MRIs, Neuroradiological images, etc.

Obviously, each specialty will have its own idiosyncracies about how to approach a patient - also, vent management in SCI pts very different from standard ICU pts. BUT, good to be exposed. I guess just pick and choose... I've only done a few on this list. :laugh:

Hope this helps.