• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

hk2005

15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2004
Visit site
Status
Thanks for the advice on my last post about types of PM&R electives to seek out. I was just wondering now if anyone had opinions about what other kinds of electives would be helpful either once you get to residency or to help make you a more impressive applicant. Besides research of course.

Thanks again! :)

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
There was a post on this subject but I can't seem to find it so let me repeat what I've heard...

Good electives outside of PM&R:

Neuro - learn good neuro exam, see acute strokes, TBI, etc.

Neurosurg - if interested - acute management of SCI, Spine procedures, etc.

Ortho - Both OR and outpt sports - good to learn about various procedures your rehab pts may have gone through, some physical dx skills.

Rheum - add to your diff dx list of msk pathologies

Cards/Pulm/ICU - learn vent management, medical emergencies, some cardiac rehab type issues.

Sports Medicine - Ortho or FP or PM&R - if interested
Pain Management - Anesthesia or PM&R - if interested

IM - was asked by one clueless interviewer what IM rotation I did my 4th yr.

Radiology?? - possibly to learn to read CXRs, Spine MRIs, Neuroradiological images, etc.

Obviously, each specialty will have its own idiosyncracies about how to approach a patient - also, vent management in SCI pts very different from standard ICU pts. BUT, good to be exposed. I guess just pick and choose... I've only done a few on this list. :laugh:

Hope this helps.

About the Ads