Non-Pre-Req Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsasi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I haven't annoyed you guys with my science gpa, maybe this one will do the trick...I'm taking a class called Dinosaur Biology. Let's say I get an A in this class. Will Med Schools factor this in with my science gpa, even though it is not a pre-med reuirement? Now I realize that this is an extreme case, since it is biology, yet of dinosaurs, but where do adcomms draw the line when deciding between which science/math classes to include in the science gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a few classes like that too (Dinosaur Biology, and "Caves and Reefs") during my undergrad. When I filled out the AMCAS application, I had to indicate what type of science classes they were (biological, earth science, geology, etc..).

Ultimately they did NOT go into my science gpa, because they were offered by the Department of Natural Science at my college, and natural science classes don't go into that science gpa on the AMCAS application. The application is very specific as to what courses will go into the science gpa (chemistry, physics, biological coursework). The natural sciences and social sciences don't go in there, unfortunately.

OldMD