DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hi guys!

So, I interviewed back in March for a Non-PTCAS school and was just accepted off of their waitlist! It's been 7 years in the making trying to get accepted ANYWHERE!!! Here's my dilemma: I applied ED for another school just in case that one did not work out and I know I should be hearing back soon about the possibility of an interview or if I get in. I know via PTCAS it says I am obligated to go to the ED school if accepted, but if I've already been accepted to the other program, would it really hurt to go to the ED interview if offered, see what comes of it and then if it comes down to it, I could choose? What's the worst the ED school would do? Anyone been in this situation before? The ED school is in state and my other recently accepted school is out of state, but I got a great feeling from the one I was accepted to, so I'm unsure. Advice?? Thanks!
 

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
1,021
555
Status
Physical Therapist
Just to clarify....these are 2 different application cycles, correct?
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Well, I guess you can qualify it as such. I applied to a Non-PTCAS application school back in February and went for an interview in March. I was put on a waiting list and recently was accepted a few weeks ago and put my deposit down. However, with this recent application cycle opening up, I decided to apply ED for a school in state just in case my other option didn't work out and I didn't get off the waitlist. So, my fear is that if I get offered an interview with this ED school and get accepted that I will have to take it since that is the requirement of applying ED. However, if I don't get a good vibe from the school and decide to turn it down, what's the worst that could happen? I'm just trying to weight my options
 

katelly

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
86
24
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
If you got a good vibe from the one you got accepted to already shouldn't you go there? You can start sooner and it sounds like it was more of a first choice anyway..
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Technically yes, but if offered an interview at the in-state school, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. The in state school would be much cheaper and obviously I wouldn't have to move. This would also be my second interview at the in state school,if offered. My main focus here is what happens if I decide to turn down the in state option if it is offered. Has anyone dealt with having to go about that?
 

katelly

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
86
24
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
OH I get it! Makes sense to me.. Can you call and explain the situation? Its not like you did anything wrong, you just came off the waiting list at another program.
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Yeah, I wouldn't mind calling. I think if I'm offered an interview, I'll take it and see how it goes and see what the outcome is. If nothing comes of it, then nothing gained or lost. If I'm offered a spot, then it's a matter of if I truly want to take it an forfeit my deposit at the other school AND start a semester later, or pick up and move to start in January in NC. I guess my fear is that PTCAS makes it sound so demanding that you have an obligation to take that spot and I've never heard any consequences about anyone turning it down.
 

katelly

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
86
24
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I feel they can only really enforce this if they are both PTCAS schools. Otherwise they have no recourse and its between you and the schools.
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
That's what I feel too! You make a great point and since it is a Non PTCAS school, I don't think there is much to say.
 

beyoutiful_sunshine

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
324
219
Huntsville, Tx
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I don't think it would be an issue because the other school you got accepted to is a non-PTCAS school.

Also, when it says that ED is binding, the most important part of that statement is that basically, if accepted ED into a school, you CANNOT apply to other schools via PTCAS. That's basically what early decision means. As far as you being forced to go there, I doubt that would happen. It's in your right to decline your admission offer at any school even if you applied ED to that school.
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Good point :) Thank you guys for shedding some light on the situation. The last thing I want to do is make a school mad for wasting time. I've been trying at this for 7 years and now that the answer has finally come, I didn't realize I'd possibly have to choose if necessary
 
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
141
45
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Thank you!! I definitely feel like it was worth the wait to be accepted! I definitely grew up a lot throughout the whole process!! Lol