1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Retail Pharmacist Position in S. Cali?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by kdt110, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kdt110

7+ Year Member

I am currently working as a retail pharmacist and I am looking for a change. What's a good way to get a position in specialty, home infusion, PBM, long term care pharmacy or something similar in the Southern California area? I have searched the rx career center and other pharmacy job websites but I have not found anything good yet.

Should I go through a recruiter? Do recruiters take a portion of your paycheck if you go through them? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IBU

IBU
    2+ Year Member

*bump! I am curious too!

4. Palrx

I am also trying to get out of retail. Have been stuck in retail for the last 12 years. Anybody knows any recruiters for long term care, hospital or PBM positions?

5. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Recruiters are payed by the business that hires them to find an employee. Because businesses don't have problems these days getting their own employees, especially employees with no experience in their area, they would never use a recruiter for this. Recruiters for pharmacy will be looking to fill unique jobs, that require experience in certain specialized areas. So no, you will not be able to get an entry level job through a recruiter.

6. tcasey

tcasey Psychiatric Pharmacy Resident
    7+ Year Member

I was actually just talking to a friend who is a healthcare recruiter about this on Friday. He said that in times of surplus are actually times when hospitals really rely on recruiters. Since there are so many more applications, they don't have the time to consider all the applicants and they need recruiters to sift through the pool of talent and find the best candidates. This is the opposite of what I thought was true, but it makes sense