Non-Science elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm doing a post-bacc to enhance my GPA, and I'm registered for 12 credits of upper-level science classes (which is minimum for full-time), would it be okay if I add on a non-science elective?

Would adcoms look down on non-science electives, or do they prefer strictly a science-only curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

Totally do it, preferably take upper division so it's not empty credit. Take anything you're interested in while you still have the time. I wish I would have taken some art history or political science, for example.

will upper level psychology classes count? also, if I take physics classes which are above the physics 1 sequence but are still in the 100 range, will that count towards my science gpa? I also took 4 credits of undergraduate research and am wondering if that will also be factored in or if it has to be a solid 12 credits of just upper level bio classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
will upper level psychology classes count? also, if I take physics classes which are above the physics 1 sequence but are still in the 100 range, will that count towards my science gpa? I also took 4 credits of undergraduate research and am wondering if that will also be factored in or if it has to be a solid 12 credits of just upper level bio classes.
I'll answer your other thread here.

Science GPA is also called BCPM, bio chem phys math. AMCAS, TMDSAS and AACOMAS count science differently, so read the fine print if you'll go TX or DO.

Here's the AMCAS rules. Coursework info starts on page 40. Short answer: psych is under behavioral science, which isn't under BCPM.

Now, as for what BCPM courses you can take if you're running out of upper div science classes:
1. You can always retake a prereq. It doesn't erase an old bad grade (except for DO), but if you get an A it's as good an A as an A in upper div. Questionable things around retakes: doing the same less-than-A work, doing worse, too many.
2. Where's the next closest school? Can you do a summer term at a bigger university that has micro/immuno/physio/biochem/genetics/neuro/etc?
3. Be in charge of the math: nobody is counting but you. If you're doing nothing but school, sure you should take a full load, but if you can't get the classes you need, take on a job or other gig. If taking a non-science upper div class would fill out your schedule, take it and don't sweat whether one class will make or break your sci GPA.
4. Don't take lower div anything, imho, unless it's something you're really interested in. On a GPA comeback, you have to take the high road.

Best of luck to you.

I'll answer your other thread here.

Science GPA is also called BCPM, bio chem phys math. AMCAS, TMDSAS and AACOMAS count science differently, so read the fine print if you'll go TX or DO.

Here's the AMCAS rules. Coursework info starts on page 40. Short answer: psych is under behavioral science, which isn't under BCPM.

Now, as for what BCPM courses you can take if you're running out of upper div science classes:
1. You can always retake a prereq. It doesn't erase an old bad grade (except for DO), but if you get an A it's as good an A as an A in upper div. Questionable things around retakes: doing the same less-than-A work, doing worse, too many.
2. Where's the next closest school? Can you do a summer term at a bigger university that has micro/immuno/physio/biochem/genetics/neuro/etc?
3. Be in charge of the math: nobody is counting but you. If you're doing nothing but school, sure you should take a full load, but if you can't get the classes you need, take on a job or other gig. If taking a non-science upper div class would fill out your schedule, take it and don't sweat whether one class will make or break your sci GPA.
4. Don't take lower div anything, imho, unless it's something you're really interested in. On a GPA comeback, you have to take the high road.

Best of luck to you.

thanks for the feedback! I am trying my best to get as many upper levels in as possible. I took neurobiology this quarter along with human anatomy. I was just curious about the physics because ive heard people mention that it does count towards bcmp since it is offered through the physics department. I am not sure if that is ok even for me since I am trying to raise the gpa. I wish I could just do something else but I am already working in a lab as a research assistant so I have that packed into my schedule as well. I guess I will just keep going with whatever classes I can get my hands on. I am glad to hear about the retake option also. I may have to start taking some retakes to make it a fully science curriculum. here's what I had this past quarter and what I will be taking next quarter. let me know what you think:

this quarter that just ended (winter):
neurobiology (3)
Human and comparative anatomy (5)
Research credits (4)
Memory (psych class upper level) (3)
lit (200 level) (3)

I got a 3.8 overall gpa.

next quarter I will take:
Medical botany (3)
sensory physiology (3)
behavioral genetics (3)
adult development (psych) (3)