Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Non science LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by clocks123, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. clocks123

clocks123 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Would it be terrible if I do not have a non science LOR? I don't take many humanities classes and the ones that I do, I take pass/fail and are usually large in size. I am a junior now and will be applying this summer so I only have one semester left to get a non science LOR if needed. Should I take a small history class to get this LOR or do I not really need one?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. moop

moop 1K Member Banned Account on Hold

MDApps:
    If the school says they want one, it's probably good to give them one. You don't take any humanities, but what about social sciences? (Unless you are using the science misnomer that everything non-STEM = humanities?) As a worst case you can write them when you apply and explain your situation, but I would suggest taking a small non-science class because science is not everything.

ndafife likes this.
  4. Omppu27

Omppu27 El Tiburon 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're excuse is, "I never was able to get one because I don't take many non science classes," then I don't think that'll cut it. Some schools are pretty strict that they NEED a letter from a prof that taught you a non science course and gave you a grade.

Did you take any language classes? Those are usually pretty interactive classes, so many you could get one there?

You might just need to play the game next semester with the prof of whatever non science class you're taking...

ndafife likes this.
  5. clocks123

clocks123 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I haven't taken any language classes so I will probably end up taking a small history class next semester to try to get to know that professor. Would that be too late to ask him or her for a LOR?

6. Omppu27

Omppu27 El Tiburon 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think so. The last semester of my senior year I took anatomy and got a letter from that prof.

About the ads