Non-science LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifeTake2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just going over things and realized that most schools REQUIRE a non-science faculty letter. I have several MD/DO's that know me well that will be writing letters; but I somehow missed the non-sci professor requirement~!@#$%

I haven't taken a non-science class since Clinton was President! I'm not really in a position time or $$ wise to take a non-needed class just for a letter. Especially when I already have over 200hrs on my transcript given that I'm post-grad.

Any thoughts? Do I have to take something simple/quick just to get a letter? And if so what??????????

Members don't see this ad.

I was just going over things and realized that most schools REQUIRE a non-science faculty letter. I have several MD/DO's that know me well that will be writing letters; but I somehow missed the non-sci professor requirement~!@#$%

I haven't taken a non-science class since Clinton was President! I'm not really in a position time or $$ wise to take a non-needed class just for a letter. Especially when I already have over 200hrs on my transcript given that I'm post-grad.

Any thoughts? Do I have to take something simple/quick just to get a letter? And if so what??????????

If you don't have any non science professors who remember you then maybe take a course at a cc? I had my public speaking professor/director of honors society I was VP of write mine. You should pick something that shows leadership or a special interest.

For the schools that state that it is a requirement, I don't think it unreasonable to send them an email explaining your situation, listing the references you anticipate providing, and asking if those are acceptable.

If they hold fast to the requirement, then you have to ask yourself if you really, really want to go to that school that you'd take a class just to source a letter and whether that reference would really be of any value. There are enough schools for your consideration that do not have non-science faculty LOR as required letters.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any non-science faculty LOR with my application. The schools I contacted were fine with the references I provided (bio lecturer, bio lab instructor, manager at work, volunteer activity coordinator).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'd like to piggyback on this topic and ask for any suggestions on how I could ask a professor for a recommendation given that I took her classes over ten years ago. She still teaches at my undergrad college; I took two of her classes; and received A's in both. Outside of class we spoke a few times. I had a final with her once that included making a film and she came up to me and commented how she was impressed with my narration on the video. Perhaps she will remember me? I'm just at a loss for how to approach emailing her. Is it uncouth to ask for a rec after a decade? BTW, prior to my post-bacc I was a Poli. Sci. major and she teaches health policy classes, and she was a very eccentric, well spoken professor, whom I feel would compliment my science professor's recommendations. Thanks for any help and I apologize if this is a repeat question that could have been found - although I didn't find anything in my searches.

Thanks much everyone!

Joboo, I do not think it would be unreasonable to ask the professor. I would make it clear to her the situation (you need a non-science professor to fulfill the requirement), and let her know that if she does not feel comfortable writing such a recommendation to not feel obligated.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=797179

These are ALL the DO schools. Not doing MD, way too many... I did this last night on the forum I posted above. If you're applying DO, it ISN'T an issue!

A.T. Still (both): 2 letters, 1 premed committee or basic science and MD/DO or employer

Midwestern (both): 2 letters, 1 premed committee or basic science and MD/DO, DO strongly preferred.

DMU: 3 letters, 1 MD/DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

KCUMB: 3 letters, 1 MD/DO, 1 Science, 1 committee (or 2nd science)

LECOM (both): 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

LMU-DCOM: 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

MSUCOM: 2, non-specific

Nova: 4 letters, 2 science, 1 non-science (or committee letter), 1 MD/DO

NJSOM: 2 letters both science

NYCOM: 4 letters, 2 science, 1 non-science (or 3rd science or committee letter), 1 DO

OSU-COM: 4 letters, 2 science, 1 non-science (or committee letter), 1 DO

OU-COM: 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

PNWU: 3 letters, 1 DO, 1 Science, 1 pre-med

PCOM (both): 2 letters, 1 DO, 1 premed committee (or advisor/Dean)

PCCOM: 3 letters, 1 DO, 1 science, 1 pre-med

RVU: 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

Touro (all): 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

TCOM: 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee

UNECOM: 4 letters, 2 science, 1 DO, 1 professional

VCOM: 2 letters, 1 DO, 1 Science

WUCOM: 2 letters, 1 DO/MD, 1 Science

WVSOM: 2 letters, 1 DO, 1 Science

WCCOM: 3 letters, 1 DO, 2 Science or 1 committee