non science LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools demand a non-science prof. LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

according to my own research, following schools require a non-science letter:

umich
harvard
mount sinai

Please add on to the list and save those who lack non-science lor.

I e-mailed Harvard explaining that I haven't taken a non-science course in four years, and they said it was okay if I didn't send in a LOR from a non-science prof. I'm sure other schools would be willing to waive the requirement if you have a valid reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
umich
harvard
mount sinai
Univ of Florida
Univ of Miami
Univ of South Florida

I have applied to 12 schools and I believe all of them required a non-science LOR if submitting the individual letters instead of committee. I think this is pretty common, so may be more useful to ask which schools don't require it?

Haemulon said:
I have applied to 12 schools and I believe all of them required a non-science LOR if submitting the individual letters instead of committee. I think this is pretty common, so may be more useful to ask which schools don't require it?

Seems like Yale is one of those 12? I applied without one last year and I got waitlisted. Unless we're defining non-science differently. How about the director of a hospital in which I volunteered?

I've had a similar experience in that almost all of my schools have required a non-science LOR. The caveat they usually state is that if you've been out of school for a while, it's usually waived, so I'd give them a call (they might let a volunteer expereince one count).

dopaminesurge said:
Seems like Yale is one of those 12? I applied without one last year and I got waitlisted. Unless we're defining non-science differently. How about the director of a hospital in which I volunteered?

I just double checked. You are right. Yale's requirement is 3 letters, 2 of which must be science. The 3rd can be science or non-science. So non-science is technically not required. I think a lot of schools would count the Director of a Hospital as a non-science since it is not an academic letter for a science curriculum.