Science LORs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeskip

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I apologize if this has been a repetitive question, but I can't seem to find a good answer, so I wanted to ask here:

My school's composite letter considers math as a science LOR. I know there are certain schools that do not consider math classes to be a science letter, and I wanted to know if there was a list I could find somewhere. I've heard the committee letter can "override", but I want to be aware which schools might not be so lenient.

Secondly, I have a few courses that are computational science-based. Could I use an LOR from these profs as a science LOR since many of their classes required a substantial amount of science learning/content? If not, if their class had become cross-listed under biology/chem/etc., could I count it then?

Thank you for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did your committee write an evaluation? Do they have experience with similar letters for medical school applications?

Are good applying to specific programs where such letters would be welcome, like Carle or EnMed/Texas A&M?

Did your committee write an evaluation? Do they have experience with similar letters for medical school applications?

Are good applying to specific programs where such letters would be welcome, like Carle or EnMed/Texas A&M?
Hi, sorry that I wasn't clear! I was referring to my school's (premed/predent) composite letter packet that requires 3 LORs from faculty: 2 science and 1 non-science. They list math as a science letter, but I know schools like NYMC and EVMS don't consider math LORs to be science LORs. The packet also has an evaluation from a prehealth advisor. From my research, I was under the impression that if your school has a composite letter process it was best to use it, and that the packet was accepted at most schools.

Also--- I haven't yet applied, I was just asking in advance because we need to start to apply for the composite packet in Dec. 2024 to apply for the 2025-2026 cycle, and I wanted to know who I could ask since it feels like December might creep up on me quicker than I might think! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, sorry that I wasn't clear! I was referring to my school's (premed/predent) composite letter packet that requires 3 LORs from faculty: 2 science and 1 non-science. They list math as a science letter, but I know schools like NYMC and EVMS don't consider math LORs to be science LORs. The packet also has an evaluation from a prehealth advisor. From my research, I was under the impression that if your school has a composite letter process it was best to use it, and that the packet was accepted at most schools.

Also--- I haven't yet applied, I was just asking in advance because we need to start to apply for the composite packet in Dec. 2024 to apply for the 2025-2026 cycle, and I wanted to know who I could ask since it feels like December might creep up on me quicker than I might think! :eek:
What I'm suggesting is that you ask the admissions teams now what their committees would do. With that information, make your choice for evaluators for the composite letter. You have a year, so this homework is on you. The last thing you want is to jeopardize your chances by making assumptions.

Reactions: 1 user
What I'm suggesting is that you ask the admissions teams now what their committees would do. With that information, make your choice for evaluators for the composite letter. You have a year, so this homework is on you. The last thing you want is to jeopardize your chances by making assumptions.
Okay, I'll reach out and see what schools say. Thank you!