Non science major, should I retake classes or take hard science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superwizard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a non science major (English lit) with a cgpa of 2.4 and a sgpa of 4.0 in the required premedical classes. However, I took a lot of classes that were related to medical classes when I first started college and received poor grades in them. Would I be better off retaking the old classes to raise my gpa or just trying to take hard science classes now and do well in them?

Considering I have done so well, I would think making A's in tough classes would prove myself, but another problem is that I AP tested and CLEP'd through some of the premedical requirements like Bio and Chem, so I do not have a lot of science credits to show. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are interested in DO, retake old grades as you will see the highest increase in gpa in the fastest amount of time. if you are just interested in MD, take some upper level bios to get your gpa near 3.0 and shoot for an SMP if it is needed. a great upward trend will look awesome, I am just not sure if the 3.0 will get you where you need to be with a 4.0 sgpa.

Yeah, the only problem is my sgpa only consists of a few classes. I would end up retaking classes with no correlation to medical school for higher grades after just one 2 class semester of retakes, and it is doubtful I would see any real improvement in my overall gpa. I also don't know what they would say of classes older than 10 years old.