Non-Science Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrozconpollo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I've been lurking the forums for some time now gathering different info from many threads.

I know this question has probably been answered many times but..... Does it really matter if I major in a non-science field.

I currently attend Towson University. I have an AA in Business Administration. Looking to take my prerequisites for dental school this fall. I was originally going to stay on the business track and major in Accounting but I'm wondering if changing to Bio or Chem would better my chances of being accepted. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The only really great thing about a Bio or Chem major is that you'll take a lot of science courses and have the prerequisites you need for dental school. I majored in Biology and that is what the majority of pre-dental students major in. So if you enjoy accounting and want to stay in that major you'll be somewhat unique compared to other applicants. Just make sure that if you do major in accounting that you do well in your science courses.

I would advise you to major in something you enjoy and could find an alternative career that you enjoy should dentistry not work out. I only say that because I majored in Biology and dentistry/medicine are my only interests in the biology field. If I don't get into either of them I'll most likely be looking at another field to work in or get a biology job that I don't enjoy. Anyways, best of luck to you!

Sounds like you should definetly stick to business! Trust me, I'm a biology major that falls under the "took bio because it had the most prereqs" and it has made me absolutely miserable. I could not be less passionate about a field of study.

Interestingly enough, I recently discovered that I love finance/economics, but its too late to switch without incurring more debt.

The only pros I can see going the bio route would be more exposure to the sciences before dental school and more practice in the memorization department.

Accounting is a useful skill no matter what. Either way, your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Truth is, yeah it does matter.

Maybe not as much to adcoms as to you. With only the bare bone of science - you'll be at a royal disadvantage in d-school. Why is that?

Well, say I took micro and macroeconomics and then tried to take a level 9000 accounting course. Would I do well?

The biology degree is great because it's so broad. I always recommend the pre-dents take A&P, cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and maybe physiology. Plus, the fact is, if you don't like biology - you have no business becoming a dentist right? The hands-on is only so much. It's MOSTLY pathology.

Replying to my comment, I always hear this: "Because in dental school I'll already know some of it right?"

No! You nut! You'll finish your semester worth of knowledge in a single exam in D-school. It'll help you get somewhat acclimated to the rigor. That's the only reason. Major in physics. Major in engineering. It's like climbing a ladder.

I don't think your BA degree will prevent you from getting into D-school. Just make sure you do well on the DAT and ENJOY science.

good advice all around so far I'd say. No, adcoms do not care as much what your major is for admissions purposes, and I had many that told me to do what I enjoy while performing well in the prereqs on the side. however, doing additional sciences on top of the pre-reqs can only help in d-school. I can't comment on this very specifically tho, as I am still a few months away from starting d-school!

I was a peace war and defense major in undergrad (a poll sic/history mash-up)...and loved it. I feel like I gained a much different world perspective than my bio major peers ...but will this help me on those first few biochem/gross anatomy exams?...not one bit. I'm sure ill have a much steeper learning curve, but to each his (or her) own!

Id say if you are dead set on specializing, maybe consider being a bio/chem major as it will only give you an extra leg up come d-school exam time. Although my advice may change here in a few months...right now I'd say in general go for what you enjoy in undergrad as there will be plenty of time to woodshed the sciences in dental school.

Best of luck!

Major in physics. Major in engineering. It's like climbing a ladder.

I would advise caution before jumping into engineering or any other math based major. Unless you are excellent in upper-division math, your GPA will probably suffer and adcoms don't tend to give leeway to majors that most of us would consider "harder".

However, these harder majors seem to have better job prospects then a simple biology major.

Greetings!

I've been lurking the forums for some time now gathering different info from many threads.

I know this question has probably been answered many times but..... Does it really matter if I major in a non-science field.

I currently attend Towson University. I have an AA in Business Administration. Looking to take my prerequisites for dental school this fall. I was originally going to stay on the business track and major in Accounting but I'm wondering if changing to Bio or Chem would better my chances of being accepted. Thanks in advance.

I had a really tough time deciding on a major. With a musical background, I was always pressured into majoring in music because of my talent. But, I have never wanted to even be in that profession at all. So, I started out with sciences and have enjoyed all of my classes so far, besides some chemistry. I love everything about microbiology, which is now my major. For me, I chose it b/c music wasnt what I wanted to do, and secondly because it was practical sense it had all my d-school prereqs, and lastly because it was a specialized field of science, not just plain "biology"....so stick w/ accounting if it gives you a rush everytime you do your homework. BUT, do be sure to take more than 8 hrs of biology, thats only 2 bio classes for most colleges, so take intro to bio, anatomy, physiology, intro to microbiology, and cell biology. These are great foundations for dental school. Good luck!

Thank you all for your advice! I think I will stick with my Accounting major. Looking forward to learning new things this fall. :)

I'll just go from my school

The majority of us are bio majors. A few chem majors and then 1 or 2 psych and 1 or 2 chem majors.

Will a bio major prepare you better for the DAT? Yes biology is a very wide array of subjects.

Will being a biology major help you for dental school? YES YES YES YES. Trust me the psych majors at my school were suffering a good bit the first part of school

Should you follow your passion? Yes...bottom line yes

Will it impact admissions? Maybe....I think you might get a question or two about it during the interview, but as long as your pre-reqs are strong. I am talking like A's mayb the occasional B strong it shouldn't be an issue.