Non-science majors and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChuckRock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I thumb through the MSAR I notice a weird trend at some schools. Some schools will have as low as ~40% science major matriculants yet according to AMCAS self reported data ~80-90% will have research experience.

Where are all these non-science majors getting research? The only research opportunities outside of the sciences I've heard of involve maybe psychology. Are they actually getting research in the sciences? Are they just being creative with their definition of "research"?

Members don't see this ad.

ChuckRock said:
As I thumb through the MSAR I notice a weird trend at some schools. Some schools will have as low as ~40% science major matriculants yet according to AMCAS self reported data ~80-90% will have research experience.

Where are all these non-science majors getting research? The only research opportunities outside of the sciences I've heard of involve maybe psychology. Are they actually getting research in the sciences? Are they just being creative with their definition of "research"?

They (we) research in the sciences - either in a lab, or else clinical research in a hospital setting. Med schools don't really care about other kinds of research. Nonscience majors do perfectly fine with this, and tend to be more useful when actually writing up the papers. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a political science major that worked in a physiology research lab for over three years. The opportunities are out there, my friend.

i'm a health promotion and education major and worked in a biochem lab for a year. it's possible, but not easy. I think I was the only non-science major in the entire biology building who was working in one of the labs!! :oops:

Some people seemed offended by my post. Just to clarify:

I am a non-science major in finance

Sorry if you feel I was somehow talking smack.

You just have to ace a professors class. Then, talk to the professor about working in his or her group. I'm a music major working in an organic chemistry research group, so it is possible.

Every PI likes free labor. Don't even need a high school diploma, just be able to clean glassware and someone will take you.

ChuckRock said:

I'm majoring in Philosophy and Spanish Literature. I have done research in Chemistry (Physical Chemistry to be exact), Biology, Philosophy and next year on Spanish Literature.

It's not very common to see a non-science major doing research in Chemistry and Biology @ my school. I am one of the few, and I think the only one that has presented at the national/international level and won awards. Still, I love my non-science double major.

Poli Sci major with research in oncology. I have a very good friend who let me know about a student researcher opening at the Vet School where he worked. It was tough at first because it is all biochem procedures and the highest level of Bio I've take thus far is Micro...... Bio Chem next semester though! Anyway good luck with finding stuff, you just need to keep your eyes ope nand situations will present themselves.

Psychology major here doing research in physiology. As long as you've taken some sciences, professor will be willing to let you do research if there are positions open