non - science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Su

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if there are many people like me who are non-science majors. i am a lit major. anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I just happen to be an English major. I'm not all that interested in lit crit, though. I just like to read books.

Members don't see this ad :)
sometimes i wonder if i will get penalized becaused i haven't taken many uper level science courses. thanx for the replys guys, keep them coming.

Philosophy all the way.

Nietzsche is awesome.

Hey

I am a double major in Psychology and Chicano Latino Studies....And dont worry, you wont get penalized for not taking upper level science classes, take the pre-reqs including biochem if possible...

Eduardo

Philosophy all the way.

Nietzsche is awesome.

hmmm there are more philosophy majors than I thought!

lakers all the way. :)

Music is where it's at! Fun classes, non-competitive atmosphere..

Sachin

Spanish Language & Lit and Latin American Studies....very scared about med school :rolleyes:

Music (vocal performance) and Biology double major.

I'm planning on taking few additional Bio courses to get up to speed: Biochem, Cell, Micro, etc. I also want to take human gross anatomy through our health science program.

English!

(It's not a coincidence that Chekhov and William Carlos Williams were doctors.)

I think that pursuing a liberal arts major as an undergrad over a science major is much better for a variety of reasons:

1.) Less stress
2.) For most of us premeds, undergrad is the
last chance to "expand your horizons" in a formal educational setting. Med school doesnt give two s#$#s about Plato, Heraclitus, and Dostoevsky.
3.) You stand out in admissions circles.
4.) Laid back professors in liberal arts professors, which give awesome recommendations

Those are some reasons why I selected an English major. Despite this, I did manage to do well in Organic chemistry and Biochemistry. MY ADVICE FOR NONSCI MAJORS, HOWEVER, IS TO TAKE A GLUT OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGY COURSES; ON THE 2003 MCAT BULLETIN, THERE IS A POST THAT THEY ARE OMITTING ONE ORGANIC CHEM PASSAGE AND REPLACING IT WITH ONE MORE MOL BIO PASSAGE. MCAT makers LOVE molecular biology due to the rapid advancement of the field. I found myself prepared, again, because of Molecular Bio and Biochemistry, both of which should be taken b4 the MCAT for a significant edge. :)

Sociology is the best!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by encee:
•Sociology is the best!!•••••Sociology major here too.

General Studies. I know, I know, it sounds like a blow off major. And it is! No, not really. I mean it can be, but I'm taking a lot of hard classes anyway.

Hi. I was a history & sociology of science major (just graduated). It was a really interesting major and greatly complimented what I learned in my science classes. Explaining my major was the one thing I was asked in every interview I went on. So it can be good, as long as you are sure to take several more natural science courses than are required for being a pre-med.

Entrepreneurship (limited access) Either that, or another business major.

A BA in Communication and a BS in Mediation and Coflict Management, here.

I took all of my science pre-requisites 7 years after graduating with my second bachelors. (I'd taken math and geology for my degree requirements.)

I got secondaries at every place I applied, so I don't think it hurt that I wasn't science-oriented. Each school has their own set of pre-requisites, so having the right mix of classes is more important than having any specific degree.

Political Science baby!!!!!!!!!!

Biology and Society Major- I have to take 4 biology electives and a bunch of science related classes(technology and law, us health care, the history of women in science)... i affecionately call it bulls**t bio cuz it gives me a fairly strong science background and at the same time classes that deal with health related issues... a lot of latitude. it's not really a science major, but with such a range of electives you can make it as hardcore science as you want(i chose to take a middle of the road approach).
Ok, so it's not your pure humanities major, but lots more social science than a normal bio major would bargain for.