Non-Science Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthosLogos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my heart set on med school, but I am a philosophy major. I really think my philosophy degree will help me in terms of ethics and critical thinking, but everyone I know keeps pushing me towards law school. I've been thinking about double majoring in micro/biology as well as philosophy, but I wasn't sure if this was necessary. Does anyone know how hard it is for non-science majors to get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

EthosLogos said:
I have my heart set on med school, but I am a philosophy major. I really think my philosophy degree will help me in terms of ethics and critical thinking, but everyone I know keeps pushing me towards law school. I've been thinking about double majoring in micro/biology as well as philosophy, but I wasn't sure if this was necessary. Does anyone know how hard it is for non-science majors to get accepted?

If you take all the med school prereqs, you are fine. The days science majors having any advantage in med school admissions are over. Be a philosophy major. But FYI, your question probably doesn't belong on the nontrad board if you are still in college.

EthosLogos said:
I have a bachelors of music. Keep fighting the good fight Ethos! I'm pre-vet. From what I've heard, the music degree should not hurt me as long as I have all my pre-reqs. Some have even suggested that it could help since it theoretically could make me well rounded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what law2doc meant to ascertain was whether you are, in fact, a nontrad. A couple of times we've had the "normal-aged" folks posting in the nontrad forum...

But if you're like some of us (I went back to school at 36.. 36!!) who have discovered medicine at a later age, welcome aboard!!

Sorry, I misunderstood the non-traditional definition. I'm still working towards my BA right now, just a little confused and I figured philosophy wasn't the traditional major. Anyway though, thank you guys a lot! :-D

VelcroSky said:
I have a bachelors of music. Keep fighting the good fight Ethos! I'm pre-vet. From what I've heard, the music degree should not hurt me as long as I have all my pre-reqs. Some have even suggested that it could help since it theoretically could make me well rounded.
It won't hurt you. It'll make you look much more interesting than a cookie-cutter premed applicant, whatever that is. There's a music major in my year. He interviewed at several top schools in the U.S. A decent MCAT score is all you'll need. My musician friend, however, was very frightened all the way through the first block in medical school because he had never studied biochemistry. He survived.

Last year I finally finished college (came to US at 17, learned English, did senior year of HS, got legal status, went to community college for 4 years, transferred to UC in '05) and received a BA in Near Eastern Studies (ancient middle east) and Anthropology. I have some ideas as to how to explain how my major will help me or benefit me in studying medicine, and becoming a doctor, but I would like to read from others. What would you say?

I have a B.A and M.A. in History and initially shared your same concerns. I've spoken to a couple of adcoms and one dean and was actually told it makes you stand out in the sea of bio degrees. Most traditional students understand mitosis etc. but have never read Chaucer or can talk about the Renaissance. I agree with the others in that you must do decent on your "science" prereqs and do well on the MCAT. Philosophy is cool, and I really like Asian philosophy. Good luck!

They want to see what you're passionate about!:)

Your major doesn't matter. Do something you enjoy and can do well in.
As long as you do well in the pre-reqs and MCAT, you will be fine from an academic standpoint.

as long as you take the pre-reqs and a few upper level sciences it won't be any harder than it would for a science major. I was an anthropology major and most schools saw it as a good thing, diversity to the class, good understanding of cultural competency and that type of thing. Spin it well and do well in your prereqs, you'll be fine as a philosophy major. If you really want to double major go for it, but if you're doing it just to get into med school don't bother.

Stick with what you love, don't change just to be more like the rest of the pack! A unique major that you love will help you to stand out, and it will help you balance the pre-req hard sciences out. I'm an International Studies and languages major (former anthropology major) and I got accepted at 2/2 schools I applied at! :thumbup: Don't be afraid to be unique!

It's good to have a major that you like and will do well in. There are people with all kinds of majors in med school.

BS in Psych here.

As long as you do well in your science classes and do all the stuff (vol, res, be active, dance, mcat, etc), then it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Anyone who tells you that it makes a bit of difference, will never make a bit of difference.

(see what I did there?)

Statistically, non-science majors tend to get accepted more frequently than science majors, but that can probably be explained by other factors. Major in what you like (I did History) and don't worry about it. If you're worried about your science pedigree, do as much scientific research as you can as medical schools will care more about that than what your degree is in.