Non-Science Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I majored in psychology. In hindsight, I would have done exercise physiology or something like that. True it doesn't really matter and true you should do something you enjoy. But for at least these couple of quarters I find the bio and physio majors are seeing this stuff for the second time while I am seeing it for the first. I hear this advantage dissipates rapidly, but I enjoy physiology so it would have been a good idea for me.

Well OP, considering that you were/will again be my roommate, you already know that I wasn't a science major. For the record (and to support your thread), I was a Communications and Rhetoric Major with a double minor in French and Psychology.

W00t non-science majors.:banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a double in Business and Professional Writing/English. I was an I-banker on Wall St for a while too before I came over to the dark side....anyways, I do wish I had some basis of science beforehand. I hadn't taken a science in more than 5 years when I started my post bac and while it took me a while to get the hang of studying for a science course, once I got it, I was set. But it definately took me some time to understand the differences in learning and studying for a science course vs. the classes I took in college.

Psychology <3

If I had the time, I'd pick up a philosophy degree as well.

Pfft, Biology and Psychology were pretty much the most common majors for pre-meds in the colleges I went to, so I wanted to stand out more.

I chose Anthropology! Any other anthro majors out there?! :D

Pfft, Biology and Psychology were pretty much the most common majors for pre-meds in the colleges I went to, so I wanted to stand out more.

my school recently gave the anthro department the heeve-ho. They replaced it with Criminal Theoery and Social Justice.

Sociology major here.... I was a double major with Biology for the first few years but then just decided to drop it to a minor and take the classes I thought were interesting or would help me like Physiology, Biochem, Genetics and what not. I wasn't really interested in Botany ;)

my school recently gave the anthro department the heeve-ho. They replaced it with Criminal Theoery and Social Justice.

What the heck?! Funding issues?

Makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

What the heck?! Funding issues?

Makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

Lots of programs at smaller schools (and even larger) get shut down all the time. Anthropology is probably one of the easier ones to let go.

I was Information Science Technology and German Lit

I kinda thought the same thing

Hey, guys,

I'm curious - who out there got into med school with a non-science major? What was it?

I got into a bunch with a Studio Art degree and a thesis on the rhetoric of human rights violations. Kind of random, I know. I'd like to know who else has had success with the non-typical majors.

I got in with a B.A. in Anthropology. I guess that's kind of cheating for this thread though because I also had a B.S. in Molecular/Cellular Biology and currently M.A. candidate in Biomedical Science.

Members don't see this ad :)

Semicolon, which subfield of anthro are you most interested in? I am definitely cultural -- archaeological and biological bored the heck out of me, and I thought linguistic was extremely difficult. Plus I love field-work and medical anthropology is considered a "subfield" of cultural -- have you ever read Anne Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down? Great interview convo too :D

B.S. (stands for bulls**t) in Psychology here.

Semicolon, which subfield of anthro are you most interested in? I am definitely cultural -- archaeological and biological bored the heck out of me, and I thought linguistic was extremely difficult. Plus I love field-work and medical anthropology is considered a "subfield" of cultural -- have you ever read Anne Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down? Great interview convo too :D

Yay, another anthro major. :p

I don't believe I ever read that book, no. I had a different idea of which subfield interested me more as I went through college. In the very beginning, I was very much into cultural anthro (which is also the most prominent subfield). I was NEVER into linguistics and I agree that archaeology was very boring, even when I had great professors. Towards the end of my college career, I ended up with an interest in physical/biological anthro, which I stuck with. I found it only remotely appealing early on (such as when learning about the various extinct primates and their timeline), but when I started taking human evolutionary genetics I became much more engrossed in the subfield.

BA in Television and Film here.:D

I didn't know you could get into med school with that major, but I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you have the core pre-requisists and do well in them.

I majored in psychology. In hindsight, I would have done exercise physiology or something like that. True it doesn't really matter and true you should do something you enjoy. But for at least these couple of quarters I find the bio and physio majors are seeing this stuff for the second time while I am seeing it for the first. I hear this advantage dissipates rapidly, but I enjoy physiology so it would have been a good idea for me.

I used to find myself constantly wishing that I had completed a degree in exercise physiology instead of my psychology degree as well...
something about it just seemed more practical. oh well.

Hey I read that book! Another one I recommend is "Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Konner, MD. It's great for anthro-types, the author also has a PhD in anthropology and a special focus on medical anthropology.

I didn't know you could get into med school with that major, but I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you have the core pre-requisists and do well in them.

You can get in to med school with any major that your school offers.

BA in Political Science as well....

myself: ~non-science:
BS Information Technology / Computer Science --> multiple DO program acceptances, probably MD, too, if I scored > 26P mcat and got more sleep for my test...

Others that I know:
BS Mathematics --> Penn State, MD

BA English --> Temple, MD ==> Director of the Emergency Department...huge dept in PA, tool...~300 patients/day\

Just pick what you like and pursue your dreams =):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BA in Physical Education w/ an emphasis in Athletic Training

I have a degree in Management in Leadership from a business school. I studied business to give me experience in case I wind up running my own private practice.

I have a degree in Management in Leadership from a business school. I studied business to give me experience in case I wind up running my own private practice.

That is probably the more useful degree. My degree, while it sounds very tech oriented, involves mostly business and project management stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are completely ignorant of all the basic management techniques and what it takes to efficiently run a business.

I also have a concentration in Human Resources Management which I can assume will be useful if I end up needing to hire and manage employees. I am glad I did it!

I guess chemical engineering is science, but I'm also an applied math major which kinda isn't science, so does that count?

I beat you all. . . B.A. Religion, with a focus on Buddhism and a sub-focus on folk religions.

I also have a classmate who majored in Chinese. Totally awesome.

Theres a history major in my class.

That is probably the more useful degree. My degree, while it sounds very tech oriented, involves mostly business and project management stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are completely ignorant of all the basic management techniques and what it takes to efficiently run a business.

Yeah, I'm afraid I might fit into that category. I was planning on doing some casual reading about basic management but I haven't found a decent book yet. Any suggestions?

Hey, guys,

I'm curious - who out there got into med school with a non-science major? What was it?

I got into a bunch with a Studio Art degree and a thesis on the rhetoric of human rights violations. Kind of random, I know. I'd like to know who else has had success with the non-typical majors.

Did not get into med school yet, still too early for that, but I'm majoring in history. Might as well do something non-science related while I still have the chance. Plus, I think it is an added bonus to major in something like that. A history major will reinforce writing skills and articulation. How many of us know a physics major or a computer science major with a 3.8 GPA that could barely hold a conversation with a wet paper bag?

I beat you all. . . B.A. Religion, with a focus on Buddhism and a sub-focus on folk religions.

I also have a classmate who majored in Chinese. Totally awesome.

Haha...wow. I think you win. :thumbup:

Although, you might have one of the most helpful majors, short of a second language major.

Haha...wow. I think you win. :thumbup:

Although, you might have one of the most helpful majors, short of a second language major.

Hmmm, thanks, although I'm still trying to decide if it was indeed helpful. Interesting? Incredibly. Enlightening, even? Yes. But helpful, the jury's still out- I think B.S. Biology might have been more helpful come Bacteriology time! Ha.

But no, I enjoyed it immensely, which I imagine most of my classmates can't say for their respective majors.

Philosophy and History

Yeah, I'm afraid I might fit into that category. I was planning on doing some casual reading about basic management but I haven't found a decent book yet. Any suggestions?

Just read whatever you can get your hands on. As cheesy as they are, the books by Jeffery Fox like "How to become a great boss" and "How to become a rainmaker" do have valuable lessons and stories in them. You can read each one in about 2 hours. Proper management and hiring practices are grounded in stupid sayings like "Earthquakes don't count...", "Teach someone for 15 minutes a day.", or "Only hire A's and B's". You can get as deep as you want into management techniques but it is commonsense techniques that pave the way...and that you'll remember in the end.

Most of the stuff isn't learned from a book. It is just learned from experience and also acknowledging that you have to apply previous experiences. I didn't learn how to manage 20 people on 3 different continents by reading about it. I read about possible communication issues and then went out and managed the team for real. I learned from my mistakes as a leader, corrected them, and applied the new technique to my second project. An effective leader doesn't give orders and dominate the conversation as much as they moderate interactions and promote creative thinking. The whole "weak link" thing is largely true, but can be overcome by simply asking questions and promoting positive discussion.

Dual Degree...Bachelor of Science in Fisheries (The study of fish) and Photography.

Spanish Literature major here.

Broadcast Journalism major....worked as a television reporter for five years. And Renny...I've also read 'The Spirit Catches You...' I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in gaining deeper insight into both themselves, and the cultural, spiritual and religious factors among patients that affect the modern practice of medicine.

Not in (yet!!), but I got excited when I saw "non-science majors"!!

Theology major, emphasis on liberation theology and feminist theology, but I did my senior thesis on a 12th century Buddhist monk. So a little bit of everything!

Yeah for non-science majors!!

Not in (yet!!), but I got excited when I saw "non-science majors"!!

Theology major, emphasis on liberation theology and feminist theology, but I did my senior thesis on a 12th century Buddhist monk. So a little bit of everything!

Yeah for non-science majors!!

Nice. My thesis was on Basho, in part. He was at least semi-Buddhist. Yeah for theology majors!

Still a little early, finishing up some pre-reqs....but B.S Aviation Sciences / Professional Pilot / Aviation Management - Airline pilot for a while before I made the jump...