Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Non-Science Majors?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by 211519, Dec 30, 2008.

1. x

#1 211519, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
  2. slim78

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I majored in psychology. In hindsight, I would have done exercise physiology or something like that. True it doesn't really matter and true you should do something you enjoy. But for at least these couple of quarters I find the bio and physio majors are seeing this stuff for the second time while I am seeing it for the first. I hear this advantage dissipates rapidly, but I enjoy physiology so it would have been a good idea for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vita

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well OP, considering that you were/will again be my roommate, you already know that I wasn't a science major. For the record (and to support your thread), I was a Communications and Rhetoric Major with a double minor in French and Psychology.

W00t non-science majors.:banana:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I was a double in Business and Professional Writing/English. I was an I-banker on Wall St for a while too before I came over to the dark side....anyways, I do wish I had some basis of science beforehand. I hadn't taken a science in more than 5 years when I started my post bac and while it took me a while to get the hang of studying for a science course, once I got it, I was set. But it definately took me some time to understand the differences in learning and studying for a science course vs. the classes I took in college.

5. thanecyan

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Psychology <3

If I had the time, I'd pick up a philosophy degree as well.

6. DarkHorizon

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have a business related degree and I have been accepted to multiple schools.

7. Semicolon

Semicolon OMS II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pfft, Biology and Psychology were pretty much the most common majors for pre-meds in the colleges I went to, so I wanted to stand out more.

I chose Anthropology! Any other anthro majors out there?! :D

8. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    my school recently gave the anthro department the heeve-ho. They replaced it with Criminal Theoery and Social Justice.

9. TeamZissou

TeamZissou jaferd
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sociology major here.... I was a double major with Biology for the first few years but then just decided to drop it to a minor and take the classes I thought were interesting or would help me like Physiology, Biochem, Genetics and what not. I wasn't really interested in Botany ;)

10. Semicolon

Semicolon OMS II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What the heck?! Funding issues?

Makes no sense to me. :rolleyes:

11. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lots of programs at smaller schools (and even larger) get shut down all the time. Anthropology is probably one of the easier ones to let go.

I was Information Science Technology and German Lit

12. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I kinda thought the same thing

13. 213965

MDApps:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I got in with a B.A. in Anthropology. I guess that's kind of cheating for this thread though because I also had a B.S. in Molecular/Cellular Biology and currently M.A. candidate in Biomedical Science.

14. 213965

MDApps:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Semicolon, which subfield of anthro are you most interested in? I am definitely cultural -- archaeological and biological bored the heck out of me, and I thought linguistic was extremely difficult. Plus I love field-work and medical anthropology is considered a "subfield" of cultural -- have you ever read Anne Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down? Great interview convo too :D

15. sithr

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    BA in Television and Film here.:D

16. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    B.S. (stands for bulls**t) in Psychology here.

17. Semicolon

Semicolon OMS II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yay, another anthro major. :p

I don't believe I ever read that book, no. I had a different idea of which subfield interested me more as I went through college. In the very beginning, I was very much into cultural anthro (which is also the most prominent subfield). I was NEVER into linguistics and I agree that archaeology was very boring, even when I had great professors. Towards the end of my college career, I ended up with an interest in physical/biological anthro, which I stuck with. I found it only remotely appealing early on (such as when learning about the various extinct primates and their timeline), but when I started taking human evolutionary genetics I became much more engrossed in the subfield.

18. Hokie06

10+ Year Member

#18 Hokie06, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  19. wongb18c

wongb18c Lucky dumb med student
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't know you could get into med school with that major, but I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you have the core pre-requisists and do well in them.

20. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I used to find myself constantly wishing that I had completed a degree in exercise physiology instead of my psychology degree as well...
    something about it just seemed more practical. oh well.

Hey I read that book! Another one I recommend is "Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Konner, MD. It's great for anthro-types, the author also has a PhD in anthropology and a special focus on medical anthropology.

21. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You can get in to med school with any major that your school offers.

22. dozitgetchahi

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Political science BA here....

23. Don7281

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BA in Political Science as well....

24. nevinleiby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    myself: ~non-science:
    BS Information Technology / Computer Science --> multiple DO program acceptances, probably MD, too, if I scored > 26P mcat and got more sleep for my test...

Others that I know:
    BS Mathematics --> Penn State, MD

BA English --> Temple, MD ==> Director of the Emergency Department...huge dept in PA, tool...~300 patients/day\

Just pick what you like and pursue your dreams =):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

25. dani042

dani042 Sports Medicine Fellow
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    BA in Physical Education w/ an emphasis in Athletic Training

26. JayhawkDoc

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I have a degree in Management in Leadership from a business school. I studied business to give me experience in case I wind up running my own private practice.

27. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is probably the more useful degree. My degree, while it sounds very tech oriented, involves mostly business and project management stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are completely ignorant of all the basic management techniques and what it takes to efficiently run a business.

28. JayhawkDoc

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I also have a concentration in Human Resources Management which I can assume will be useful if I end up needing to hire and manage employees. I am glad I did it!

29. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I guess chemical engineering is science, but I'm also an applied math major which kinda isn't science, so does that count?

30. Green Doc

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ---

#30 Green Doc, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  31. Green Doc

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I beat you all. . . B.A. Religion, with a focus on Buddhism and a sub-focus on folk religions.

I also have a classmate who majored in Chinese. Totally awesome.

32. jjb22

Removed

Medical Student
    Theres a history major in my class.

33. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I'm afraid I might fit into that category. I was planning on doing some casual reading about basic management but I haven't found a decent book yet. Any suggestions?

34. darkosbunny

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did not get into med school yet, still too early for that, but I'm majoring in history. Might as well do something non-science related while I still have the chance. Plus, I think it is an added bonus to major in something like that. A history major will reinforce writing skills and articulation. How many of us know a physics major or a computer science major with a 3.8 GPA that could barely hold a conversation with a wet paper bag?

35. Haha...wow. I think you win. :thumbup:

Although, you might have one of the most helpful majors, short of a second language major.

36. Green Doc

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmmm, thanks, although I'm still trying to decide if it was indeed helpful. Interesting? Incredibly. Enlightening, even? Yes. But helpful, the jury's still out- I think B.S. Biology might have been more helpful come Bacteriology time! Ha.

But no, I enjoyed it immensely, which I imagine most of my classmates can't say for their respective majors.

37. EckXXX

EckXXX "by any means necessary"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Philosophy and History

38. MossPoh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just read whatever you can get your hands on. As cheesy as they are, the books by Jeffery Fox like "How to become a great boss" and "How to become a rainmaker" do have valuable lessons and stories in them. You can read each one in about 2 hours. Proper management and hiring practices are grounded in stupid sayings like "Earthquakes don't count...", "Teach someone for 15 minutes a day.", or "Only hire A's and B's". You can get as deep as you want into management techniques but it is commonsense techniques that pave the way...and that you'll remember in the end.

Most of the stuff isn't learned from a book. It is just learned from experience and also acknowledging that you have to apply previous experiences. I didn't learn how to manage 20 people on 3 different continents by reading about it. I read about possible communication issues and then went out and managed the team for real. I learned from my mistakes as a leader, corrected them, and applied the new technique to my second project. An effective leader doesn't give orders and dominate the conversation as much as they moderate interactions and promote creative thinking. The whole "weak link" thing is largely true, but can be overcome by simply asking questions and promoting positive discussion.

39. CoachPutMeIn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dual Degree...Bachelor of Science in Fisheries (The study of fish) and Photography.

40. Bleurberry

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Spanish Literature major here.

41. BrakngLyv

BrakngLyv I've got a fever!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Broadcast Journalism major....worked as a television reporter for five years. And Renny...I've also read 'The Spirit Catches You...' I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in gaining deeper insight into both themselves, and the cultural, spiritual and religious factors among patients that affect the modern practice of medicine.

42. GoGreen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not in (yet!!), but I got excited when I saw "non-science majors"!!

Theology major, emphasis on liberation theology and feminist theology, but I did my senior thesis on a 12th century Buddhist monk. So a little bit of everything!

Yeah for non-science majors!!

43. Green Doc

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nice. My thesis was on Basho, in part. He was at least semi-Buddhist. Yeah for theology majors!

44. Prestone

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Still a little early, finishing up some pre-reqs....but B.S Aviation Sciences / Professional Pilot / Aviation Management - Airline pilot for a while before I made the jump...