Non-science Majors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who aren't majoring in Biology, Biochem, etc., is it hard to incorporate your pre-reqs into your major? At my college freshman orientation, I forgot to change my major, so technically my major is Biochemistry, but I'm changing that to business after my first semester. Biochem requires too much math (Calc 1-3), and I hate math. My schedule is as follows:

Intro to Biological Science w/ lab
Government & Politics
College Algerbra
Freshman Comp 1

I'm going to summer school (both sessions) every summer after my freshman year. Do you guys think I'll have any problem with taking all the pre-reqs before MCAT time rolls around?

Members don't see this ad.

I managed to do both science and non-science and it was easy. Not so sure with business -- but every business major I knew always had tons of free time, so you can easily add a science class in each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm science major, but at my school most non-science BA programs leave ton of room for classes outside the major, and non-science BS programs require some science courses which can be satisfied with med school pre reqs.

EN

Most non-science majors have significantly less credits required for the major. So in the end it really doesn't matter much.

But don't you have to take Calculus 1 & 2 for medical school anyway? So it's just one more class..

But don't you have to take Calculus 1 & 2 for medical school anyway? So it's just one more class..
Most schools require calculus 1, and some statistics as well. You don't need calc 2 unless you're applying to Harvard.

EN

Most schools require calculus 1, and some statistics as well. You don't need calc 2 unless you're applying to Harvard.

EN

I think a couple of other schools too, but I can't recall immediately. I think Duke is one of them...

EN

While it is true that some schools require math, I believe that saying "most" do is probably false

To the OP, with any other major other than business it is easily doable. It can be done with a business major, but assuming that you go to a university with a relatively competitive business school, I would imagine that a pre-med business major will take careful planning. Most business schools have their own set of degree requirements and relatively few electives(at least in the schools that I am familiar with) That being said, if business is your passion go for it.

Major in whatever you like, all you have to do is tack on 1 science course a semester and 1 a summer session for a summer (assuming all have labs) and you should be good to go by spring of your junior year. I know plenty of premed business people that are doing very well, one is even an athlete at my D1 school! I'm a double major in an arts field (major major time sink) and a science and could have taken the MCAT summer after junior year if I wanted. It is totally doable, just learn to budget your time well!

If only nonsciencemajor had not been banned. He would be all over this. LOL

I think a couple of other schools too, but I can't recall immediately. I think Duke is one of them...

No, Duke requires calculus and another semester of math. Statistics can count.

While it is true that some schools require math, I believe that saying "most" do is probably false

Here's a list of medical schools that require math:

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/sites/dsa/files/handbooks/Medical%20Schools%20with%20Additional%20Math%20Requirements%2010_11.pdf

According to this chart, Harvard, John Hopkins, and Wash U are the only schools that require two semesters of calculus.

Last edited:
Most non-science majors have significantly less credits required for the major. So in the end it really doesn't matter much.

Not true at my school. At my school, the requirements are about equal. The only difference is that for a BA (which is the only degree given for one of my majors), you need at least two years of foreign language credit and an art class, while those getting a BS (which I'd actually prefer, to be honest - my other major is technically a science) need to take extra math and science.

I personally don't have difficulty fitting it into my schedule, but that's probably because I resigned myself to taking an extra year of classes when I tacked on an extra major anyway. And the requirements just about amount to a chemistry minor, so I'm telling people it's why I'm taking so many science classes. (Telling people you're premed is a TERRIBLE IDEA at my school. Minors, however, aren't questioned.)

Then again, I'm on the quarter system. My major classes are offered every term. No timing difficulties when I can just take them three months later anyway! :thumbup:

It really shouldn't be difficult at all. Summer classes may not be necessary (although will help lighten the load). It could be something to consider but I don't know why you would want to take summer classes "every summer after [your] freshman year".

Non-science majors at my school typically have considerably fewer requirements for their programs... think a psych major is like 40-44 credits whereas a bio major is up around 90. I am actually a dual degree candidate and haven't had any problem fitting in my other program with a bio major. If I can complete a BS/BA in 3.5 years I'm sure you can squeeze in med school pre-reqs before the MCAT.

I'm a Theology major, and I decided to do all of my pre-reqs during my first two years; I took only two courses for my major during that time. Now, these last two years, I'll be finishing up my major as well as the other general education requirements. I only took one summer course, and that was calculus 1.

I'm also on track to pick up a Biology minor. I don't think majors and minors really matter all that much, but it should give you some perspective. It shouldn't be too difficult. Make sure you do your best in those science courses, though.

I'm very sure that JHU allows either 2 statistics classes or 1 stat + 1 calc or 2 calc classes.

No you don't need it for duke. You need a calculus class, but it doesn't even have to be calculus I. It can be as in my case, a calculus for business majors, which is easier. My source is the Duke Office of admissions.