Non-science/math prerequisites >10 years old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATXCALA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, and thanks for all the help you've provided as I start a journey toward med school.

I'm 30 y/o now. Graduated 2012 with undergrad degree in Politics (took almost zero science). Honors thesis. Rhodes Scholarship nominee and Marshall Scholarship finalist. Had incredibly formative 6 year career in community organizing before deciding to pursue medicine (long story). I'm preparing to do a DIY postbacc starting this summer, and I've begun working as an ER tech, which I intend to do until matriculation (fingers crossed!)

I need to take all my science prerequisites, but my question is about non-science pre-reqs, i.e. social science, humanities. I took many, many of those in college, but they will be 10 years old by the time I apply in 2022.

Meanwhile, all my science and math prerequisites will have been completed within 3 years prior to application.

Do I need to be concerned about re-taking these non-science prerequisites?

Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No probably not. Pre-reqs don't expire in most schools. There are a few exceptions though, so it's best to check with each school you plan on applying to.

Reactions: 2 users
Most schools just want to see recent coursework. Having one pre req, or a few, that is old isn’t a problem at most schools. I applied to 30 schools and none had a problem with my 10 year old gen chem class. Like @paradoxic_toxic said, check with the schools

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. Even most of my science prerequisites were that old and I did pretty well this cycle. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above responses. I am a career changer so all of my science prerequisites were recent but I did not have any current math or humanities courses. I did not get asked about any of those courses. But like others have said you can check with schools individually when you start applying. Best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Nthing--my humanities prereqs were ancient, though I did have recent math classes. But the state of calc 1 hasn't evolved, geez.

Reactions: 2 users