Non-Science Post-Bacc Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently registering for Fall classes at a new university as I continue my DIY post-bacc and it looks like I'll only be able to sign up for 3 biology courses due to the rest already being closed out or having pre-reqs I have not fulfilled. The 3 I would be taking are Biochem, Genetics, and Cell Bio.

I'm thinking of rounding out my schedule with a couple courses that aren't directly related to med school but interest me none the less like Probability Theory, Differential Equations, Economics of Race and Gender, or Economics of Developing Countries.

My main concern is that as a non-trad, I'm weary of doing anything that may signal to Adcoms that I'm not 100% sold on medicine. Am I over-thinking this one?

I have a good science GPA but a low cumulative GPA so the more credits I take the better.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Am I over-thinking this one?

Yes, in a word. What is your intent in "rounding out your schedule"? Are you trying to simply be considered a full time student? The more credits you take and do very well in, the better. Great grades in 9 credits is better than Cs and Bs in 15 credits; don't take on more than you need and endanger good grades if it's not necessary.

Are you taking the 2015 MCAT? If so, behavioral sciences will play a big role in your success. Might want to check out psychologys, sociologies, etc