Non-Science recommendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AfricaChick12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to apply either MD or MD/PhD. I have plenty of LORs from science faculty, research advisors, PIs from summer programs, etc, but I am struggling with the non-science faculty LOR. In looking at many of my target schools, there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on a non-science LOR but I have seen on various websites that a non-science LOR is important. Is the non-science LOR important? Do I need to make sure the non-science LOR is someone who has taught me in class? I could ask my intro psych teacher or religion teacher from freshman year to write me a letter, but I feel it would not be that strong or that unique. I have worked closely for the last year with the head of scholarships and fellowships (also an English faculty) on various things and am continuing to work closely with her. She supervised me for the Goldwater and now we are applying to Fulbright and Marshall. She knows me well and my work ethic and could write a strong letter for me but cannot attest to my classroom abilities because I have not been with her in class. Which is better for my non-science LOR? A faculty who has had me in class but doesn't know me well or someone who knows me well academically (scholarships and fellowships) but hasn't taught me?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying regular MD here, I keep hearing that non-science is important but the only school I can find with that requirement is Harvard. I never had a non-science professor more than one semester so I never bothered asking for a letter. Most schools don't seem to care, at least the 35-40 schools I've looked at.