Non-Science Related Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woolie

Intermountain West
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do other people in this forum have really non-science related full-time jobs? After two years of poor student life and 2 really cool research positions, I am totally flat broke and have gone to work at a financial firm (my old career). I am grateful for the money but I am finding it really hard to be this phony person and to take on the corporate persona. I am also trying to take a Molecular class and my heart is loving the class but miserable in the job. I just can't walk away from the money right now because how am I going to afford all these applications, etc.

Do others have this dilemma? Do others have really unrelated professional lives in order to pay the bills and eat? I know I can't be alone in this but it's a struggle I have to work with.

:(

I have applied for other research/hospital jobs and have gotten nowhere so far. I thought I would open up this thread and see what kinds of responses came along ...

Members don't see this ad.

Same boat brotha, I am mixing paint at a hardware store 35hrs/wk and taking an EMT class and biopsych. and biochem. and secondaries. I'm busy and don't really like mixing paint but it pays the bills. Think of the long term results and benefits (MD) versus the short term things that suck (like work). Works for me anyway. Peace.

Hey cornhusker, I feel better seeing your comments. It is just a short-term thing and every day I say "thank you God for this money ..." but it really reminds me why I don't want to stay in this industry and why I do love medicine and working with people. It was just a real culture shock to be back in this environment after 2 years of healthcare and August MCAT, etc.

Keep the faith brother! :clap:

I am running the largest privately owned bank in Texas..Beal Bank!

www.bealbank.com

Far right top floor corner office is mine. Stop by someday and say howdy!