Non-Scientific Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucmorel

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm currently a freshman with non-scientific research coming up this spring. Is it recommended to put that research on your AMCAS application or do adcoms look down on non-scientific research? The research is regarding social justice and language teaching. I'm a first-gen student with no friends or family going into/already in medicine so I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

Members don't see this ad.

If this project interests you, go for it.

Not all research is basic science bench research. If you have a hypothesis and a way to test it, you are doing research although it might be classified as "social science research".

After your second year of college and after you have completed many of your pre-reqs, you will have some bench skills from your coursework/labs. If you want to try bench research, in January 2023, let your college advisor, or a biology or chemistry professor (or all of them) know that you are looking for summer research opportunities for 2023 or research projects that you can engage in during junior and/or senior year. There are summer research opportunities at some big universities that are particularly looking for URM and first gen college students.

Here's a resource you may find helpful: Summer Research Programs & Scholarships in STEM (Undergrad level)
and this one: STEM Internships and Fellowships - ORISE

If you find social science research fulfilling, run with it. If you try it and still want to have the opportunity to test your interest in natural science research, you can do that, too but after you have some bench skills to build on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I did research of a similar nature and it came up in one of my interviews. Seemed like a positive since it fit in with my narrative. If you're just trying to get some research experience, non-science research should be fine, especially if you can explain why it's important to you and what you learned doing it. I'm guessing they would be looking for more science research if you applied to a research-oriented school but that wasn't my focus when applying so can't say for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm a second year med student at a T15 med school. A lot of my research were in random topics not scientifically related. I once did a study on "garbology" lol. Regardless, they were the most interesting projects my interviewers wanted to talk to me about. Go for it!

Hi there! You can definitely add it. Keep in mind that admissions committees want to see whether you possess those essential qualities programs value in applicants, so what is important here is the skills you are going to exercise or develop by conducting research. That skillset you are going to acquire will help you as a med student and future physician, so when doing research, you should always reflect on all the things you are learning and the non-cognitive abilities you are refining, and those are the ones you will need to highlight throughout your application.