Non-template synthesis: biosynthesis of lipids and polysaccharide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is meant by this? It's under the topic "basic metabolism"?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about non-template lipid synthesis but non-template polysaccharide synthesis may be referring to glycosylation and glycosyltransferases. That's my guess. There are tons of enzymes used for polysaccharide chains to attach to the proteins/lipids.

I'd guess that non template synthesis is biosynthesis of molecules without a template, such as cholesterol and lipid synthesis (terpenes), and gluconeogenesis for glucose. Maybe/probably?

question is a little confusing. The only template sythesis I can think of are for DNA synthesis, mRNA synthesis and protein synthesis. Hence non-template synthesis is everything else to include lipids and polysaccharides??

Members don't see this ad :)
So I understand that lipid synthesis occurs in the smooth ER and then does it go for repackaging in the Golgi apparatus?

Where does polysaccharide synthesis actually occur in the cell ? I remember learning about this in Cell Biology but that was like 4 years ago.

Yeah, where in plant cells is cellulose made? I can't find it and it seems like such a simple question.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16824006 Plant cellulose, 'spun' by plasma membrane complex, assembled in Golgi.

From what I can find, gluconeogenesis occurs partially in mitochondria, partly in the cytoplasm. Glycogenesis occurs in the cytoplasm. Other types of carbohydrates are made in the lumen of the smooth endoplasmic reticulum.

Last edited:
Ah, yes--now that I see this, it's how I recall it from Cell Bio

The complexes assemble in the Golgi, where they are inactive, and move to the plasma membrane, where they become activated.

Thanks!