MD & DO [Non-trad] 3.2/3.4 - Let me hear it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neverfear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I did poorly in my freshman/sophomore years (5-10 yrs ago) which has brought down my GPAs significantly. However, I did get As in classes like OChem and Genetics. Transferred partly due to laziness and immaturity, and finished my B.S. in public health. Tutored biostats and got great research experience. Went into psychosocial research and did 1 year of a PhD at a very good school before leaving and working in healthcare for 3 years, all the while completing a very relevant Masters program at a well-known institution and doing 4 prereq classes (Ochem, physics, biochem, upper div bio - all A's). My letters, statement, work and research experience will look very good -- but I'm worried about my GPAs. I intend to apply in 2019 but I am wondering if I should defer to 2020 and get some more science classes under my belt? I am shooting for any MD school. Chances?
  1. cGPA: 3.4
    sGPA: 3.2
  2. MCAT: TBD (interested in hearing what I'd need to get into MD)
  3. Location: CA
  4. Ethnicity: Over represented
  5. Education: B.S. from state school, 1 year PhD, Masters
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~300h Interviewed pts to collect data on knowledge attitude and beliefs related to clinical outcomes and a health education intervention
  7. Research experience and productivity: Research Assistant (health behavior, unpaid) and Health Services Research positions (paid)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    ~50h radiology (imaging), ~200h PMNR, will gain more in another specialty
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    ~100h community mental health org
    ~300h health education
    ~200h family therapy clinic
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    Teaching Assistant for undergraduate public health classes, Biostatistics tutor for state uni (paid)
    Publication or two

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Much depends on your MCAT score. You need 512+ to have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. Post your score here when available. Where is your state of residence?

I think the GPA will be less a problem than your... history of quitting, as it were. What did you transfer out of? Your major, your school? It sounds like you quit a more rigorous program for an easier one, then quit a PhD for a Master's. That's not doing you any favors. I'd look at your app and wonder whether that'll happen a third time.

Can't give more specific advice without an MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the GPA will be less a problem than your... history of quitting, as it were. What did you transfer out of? Your major, your school? It sounds like you quit a more rigorous program for an easier one, then quit a PhD for a Master's. That's not doing you any favors. I'd look at your app and wonder whether that'll happen a third time.

Can't give more specific advice without an MCAT.
and obviously I'd explain that during the personal statement. But I agree -- getting to a II may be difficult given how that looks. A lot will depend on my MCAT. I'm thinking I should get more clinical/shadowing experience, take more science, and spend more time prepping for MCAT, to apply the following year.

Much depends on your MCAT score. You need 512+ to have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. Post your score here when available. Where is your state of residence?
CA

and obviously I'd explain that during the personal statement. But I agree -- getting to a II may be difficult given how that looks. A lot will depend on my MCAT. I'm thinking I should get more clinical/shadowing experience, take more science, and spend more time prepping for MCAT, to apply the following year.

I dunno if you need much more clinical or shadowing experience. The thing obviously missing as far as ECs go is volunteering outside of health. You mentioned athletics. Any leadership there? Any community involvement? Work experience?

Hi All. I did poorly in my freshman/sophomore years (5-10 yrs ago) which has brought down my GPAs significantly. However, I did get As in classes like OChem and Genetics. Transferred partly due to laziness and immaturity, and finished my B.S. in public health. Tutored biostats and got great research experience. Went into psychosocial research and did 1 year of a PhD at a very good school before leaving and working in healthcare for 3 years, all the while completing a very relevant Masters program at a well-known institution and doing 4 prereq classes (Ochem, physics, biochem, upper div bio - all A's). My letters, statement, work and research experience will look very good -- but I'm worried about my GPAs. I intend to apply in 2019 but I am wondering if I should defer to 2020 and get some more science classes under my belt? I am shooting for any MD school. Chances?
  1. cGPA: 3.4
    sGPA: 3.2
  2. MCAT: TBD (interested in hearing what I'd need to get into MD)
  3. Location: CA
  4. Ethnicity: Over represented
  5. Education: B.S. from state school, 1 year PhD, Masters
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~300h Interviewed pts to collect data on knowledge attitude and beliefs related to clinical outcomes and a health education intervention
  7. Research experience and productivity: Research Assistant (health behavior, unpaid) and Health Services Research positions (paid)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    ~50h radiology (imaging), ~200h PMNR, will gain more in another specialty
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    ~100h community mental health org
    ~300h health education
    ~200h family therapy clinic
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    Teaching Assistant for undergraduate public health classes, Biostatistics tutor for state uni (paid)
    Publication or two
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention