WAMC- non-trad ORM MD resident, MCAT 520, cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.2, SMP GPA 3.68, no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicenspicy1604

Reaction score
MCAT breakdown: 130/132/129/129

Pre-vet most of undergrad, switched to medicine early last year so my experiences are lacking. Submitted secondaries a few days ago.

Ethnicity: Asian

Residency: Maryland

Experiences:

2019- 100 hours clinical shadowing a hospitalist internationally
2022- 120 hours interning at a pathology lab
2022- 100 hours volunteering at free clinics
Recently hired as a hospitalist scribe

ECs:
Athletics: Table Tennis club member in undergrad, competed in regionals
Leadership: Vice president of student government at SMP

I'm mostly worried about lacking research and volunteering hours and also applying later than most people did. I was told my personal statement is strong and I think I got good LORs.

School list:
Chicago Rosalind-Franklin
Drexel
EVMS
Netter Quinnipiac Uni
Geisel at Dartmouth
Geisinger
Loyola
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Rush
St. Louis
Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)
Tufts
Uni of Cincinnati
UMD
U of Miami
USF Health Morsani
VCU
West Virginia
Rochester
Hackensack

Any insight's appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Add:
Boston U
Tulane
TCU

Rush requires lots of service hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you apply this cycle and not wait until your application was more focused on medicine?
Any shadowing in the United States?
Any nonclinical volunteering focused on those less fortunate than yourself(outside your comfort zone)? ( homeless shelters, soup kitchens, immigrant services, etc).
Since your application/experiences are focused on vet school will you be able to assure ADCOMS you are fully in for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you apply this cycle and not wait until your application was more focused on medicine?
Any shadowing in the United States?
Any nonclinical volunteering focused on those less fortunate than yourself(outside your comfort zone)? ( homeless shelters, soup kitchens, immigrant services, etc).
Since your application/experiences are focused on vet school will you be able to assure ADCOMS you are fully in for med school?
I decided to switch to med school early last year and did the interning, MCAT, free clinics, and SMP after that. After already taking a gap year I didn't want to go another year without applying

-No shadowing in the US
- No nonclinical volunteering
- I make it a point in my essays and PS that I've been catching up as best I can since switching and I also committed a year to doing the SMP. I think I also have pretty solid answers to "why medicine" questions

I decided to switch to med school early last year and did the interning, MCAT, free clinics, and SMP after that. After already taking a gap year I didn't want to go another year without applying

-No shadowing in the US
- No nonclinical volunteering
- I make it a point in my essays and PS that I've been catching up as best I can since switching and I also committed a year to doing the SMP. I think I also have pretty solid answers to "why medicine" questions
Zero community service hours, especially service orientation activities that are not clinical or health adjacent, will put your application on jeopardy of getting screened out, period. Too many applicants have a good number of hours that having less than 150 will not keep your application on pace with others. Zero will be non-negotiable for most schools that I know of.

Don't try to build a plane while you are flying it.

Reactions: 1 users
Accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) in this country and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.) in the coming year in case you need to reapply next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) in this country and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.) in the coming year in case you need to reapply next year.
Thank you! I'll start working as a scribe soon so I should be good on clinical hours. I'm gonna be looking into community service as soon as I can get some consistent transportation. I'll try to look for more nonclinical volunteering like you're suggesting.