Non-trad advice

Started by potter12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

potter12

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!
I am a soon to be M.S. graduate in Computer Science (specifically studying AI models) and I have recently decided to pivot and pursue a path in medicine. I've always had an interest in healthcare and was working towards continuing my studies in the intersection of AI and healthcare. However, over time, I have grown to realize that I feel much more drawn to the patient care, human connection, and meaningful purpose that a career as a physician offers. I am currently working towards completing my prerequisite courses. I know this is going to be a long and extremely difficult journey, so I was wondering if anyone has advice for a post-grad career change into the medical field. A few questions I have are the following:
  • What do you wish you had known before starting?
  • What were the biggest challenges you faced, and what surprised you?
  • Are there any resources, communities, or habits that you found especially helpful?
  • Is there anything you would recommend prioritizing early on (clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing, networking, etc.)?
I'm excited for the journey ahead and would really appreciate any advice or insights. Thank you so much!
 
Take biostats, biochem and cell bio before sitting the MCAT. Maintain a 4.0 postbac GPA. Grades and MCAT come before all else.

Get started on your clinical experience early. If you want a clinical job, you'll need a license. Otherwise prepare for a lot of unpaid labor. Some premeds I knew from my postbac lab dragged their feet on this. As far as I know, they still aren't accepted and that's a big reason why.

Shadow some docs asap. Cold call until someone says yes.

Join a lab so you can see the scientific method in action and take ownership of your own projects. Research is becoming ubiquitous among applicants.

This process sucks and for me the worst part was the uncertainty of getting accepted. I was prepared to reapply, but only once. Luckily I didn't have to by the grace of god. 60% of applicants don't make it. As for why, in descending order: poor grades/MCAT, didn't check all the boxes, poor writing (reflection) or interviewing (presentation).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The highest priorities for you are (1) clinical exposure (shadowing and volunteering, EMT, etc.) and (2) quality non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.).

Fair or not, applicants from CS backgrounds carry a certain stereotype (see this thread). You will need to be thorough in showing that you know what medicine entails and you have a high level of intrinsic motivation to go down the path.

Research is generally overrated by applicants as a critical element for admissions. It is not.
 
Take biostats, biochem and cell bio before sitting the MCAT. Maintain a 4.0 postbac GPA. Grades and MCAT come before all else.

Get started on your clinical experience early. If you want a clinical job, you'll need a license. Otherwise prepare for a lot of unpaid labor. Some premeds I knew from my postbac lab dragged their feet on this. As far as I know, they still aren't accepted and that's a big reason why.

Shadow some docs asap. Cold call until someone says yes.

Join a lab so you can see the scientific method in action and take ownership of your own projects. Research is becoming ubiquitous among applicants.

This process sucks and for me the worst part was the uncertainty of getting accepted. I was prepared to reapply, but only once. Luckily I didn't have to by the grace of god. 60% of applicants don't make it. As for why, in descending order: poor grades/MCAT, didn't check all the boxes, poor writing (reflection) or interviewing (presentation).
Thank you for your response! I have shadowing and adult inpatient volunteering starting soon. I have a large computer science research background with publications, so I'm wondering how much weight that holds and if that changes how much I should prioritize joining another lab. Thank you!
 
The highest priorities for you are (1) clinical exposure (shadowing and volunteering, EMT, etc.) and (2) quality non-clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.).

Fair or not, applicants from CS backgrounds carry a certain stereotype (see this thread). You will need to be thorough in showing that you know what medicine entails and you have a high level of intrinsic motivation to go down the path.

Research is generally overrated by applicants as a critical element for admissions. It is not.
Got it! Thank you!