School List Help - Low/Mid-stats Non-Trad

Started by colucho19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

colucho19

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for advice on which MD schools I should include vs which ones to definitely avoid since my stats vs ECs/hours are kind of confusing me. I already have a DO list but still trying to come up with an MD list of about 30-40 schools.

29 y/o M URM, bilingual immigrant, low SES/FAP recipient, IL resident w ties to IN and FL.

3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA. CC transfer to unranked school. U-shaped trend, last semester w a 4.0 and 22 DIY postbac science credits w a 3.8.

MCAT: 503 (2020) -> 509 recent (125/127/127/130).

-6200 hours as a scribe and interpreter. Did both simultaneously in my role, started in the ED and then moved to a cardiology practice where I helped start the scribing program.

- 500 hrs clinical volunteering, most recent hours are 80ish interpreting at a free clinic.

- 250 hrs non-clinical volunteering, food pantry and other activities.

- 2000 hrs research, clinical and bench research w 1 pub, 2 posters and 1 award from presenting at a local conference.

- 4000 hrs as the lead lab tech in a molecular bio industry lab.

- 4000 hrs in project management for clinical trials (current role).

- 1000 hrs as a paid tutor for my school.

- 50 hrs shadowing.

I think my writing is pretty solid with a pretty cohesive narrative about my journey as an immigrant tied into my ECs, some of my letters are just OK because they are from professors who taught me almost 10 years ago but the recent ones should be very solid.

I know my MCAT is the biggest pain point. A lot happened during my time studying so I'll probably consider retaking it if I have to re-apply next cycle.
 
Last edited:
Which URM community are you from? If you are Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish?
I'm Hispanic. Spanish is my first language so I'm fully fluent and all of the interpreting work and volunteering I've done is Spanish-English.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
Alice Walton
TCU
Creighton
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Methodist
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
Alice Walton
TCU
Creighton
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Methodist
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you!